Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

128Mb > 256MB upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elziko

Programmer
Nov 7, 2000
GB
I want to upgrade my memory from 128Mb to 256Mb. Can I just add another 128Mb module or do I need to buy "matched" memory, or is it worth didtching the 128Mb module and buy a 256 one?

thanks

elziko

Ideally you'd want it to match your existing memory.

I've yet to see any real issues with good quality DIMMS - even putting 133Mhz ones alongside 100Mhz ones.

This said, I'm not recommending you do this, just saying it's possible if you don't mind the risk - the safe approach is to match the speed and even vendor, if possible.

Hope this helps

Just like what Citrix said it is always best to match the ram but I have not matched ram many times and have not had any trouble. I might just be lucky though.

hi,

first of all before you upgrade your computer, first check if you have any more DIMM slots available to put more ram in. Ram comes into many sizes...4,16,32,64,128,256...if you have 3 slots and you have 2x32 and 1x64, you can't upgrade anymore without taking out a 32 ram...therefore that's the first. then you have to check with the quality of RAM...133mhz or 100mhz...and see if it's CAS2 or CAS2.5 or CAS3.0..of course if you have a 100 mhz ram and your running a 133 FSB, then you will be overclocking your ram. best is to match what you have.

Hope that helps.
hui

When I talked of matching I meant actually buying the RAM in matching pairs from the manufacturer. Is this what you all call matching or do you mean just making sure the RAM sec is the same, which I would do of course???

elziko

I generally buy valueram as it was running only $80 per 256 mb stick. I also have dell's namebrand ram, some PNY and some crucial. I mix it where i need it and havent had any problems. I would recommend buying only what you need. don't bother with matching unless you are purchasing for a company as it is easier to keep track of.

I assumed that you meant DIMMS, rather than SIMMS - in which case you would need matched pairs.

I think most people are quite loose with the definition of "matched".

Initially, I meant that it would be a good idea, if you were buying DIMMS, to purchase ones that were from the same manufacturer and ran at the same speed.

Here, in the case of SIMMS, you would ideally need identical pairs - size, speed and (preferably) manufacturer.

If you do need SIMMS, make sure that they match the existing ones (EDO, Parity, etc), or you may see unusual error messages.

I hope this information helps

if you havent bought rams yet, now would be a good time

512Meg PC133 = 163$
256Meg PC133 = 49$
128Meg PC133 = 29$
64Meg PC133 = 16$

These prices shown at pricewatch.com

I'm thinking about grabbing two 512s myself Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Usually zero problems........see Citrixengineers' comments above.

BUT,

Since you are unsure of the end result and have asked the question, take the computer and have a reputable whitebox company do it for you. They should have the SIMM/DIMM testers in the shop so that they can assist you with any problems you may encounter....prior too, and afterwards.

If they do have a DIMM tester, the white box company could be quite reputable, as in it's time, it was a 4000.00 investment........

SIMMS are getting expensive!!

speaking about memory.
a customer comes into our computer store and says. "i want to upgrade my cache". " Ok.." i said. knowing that he doesn't no anything about computers i said " L1 or L2?" " ummm. ummm.... umm...64 megabytes" he blurts out. Ok i said, you probably mean your RAM, random access memory. "oh ya he says thats it." how much ram do you want i said. " another 32 megabytes of cache" he says.

so after talking with him for another 5-8 min he still referred it to cache after i corrected him after every time. hehehe. *sigh*.

Hey Technoguy,

How about the customer that wants to increase his memory on his harddrive..... (HEEHEE.) Same thing, "oh you want a bigger harddrive".......... (HEEHEE.) "no my hardrive barely fits in the Computer desk" (HEEHEE.) (In my mind)...... "lets waste some more of my time"

Ya dress'em up and send them to school...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back