Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1140 Pc Port won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jreadlock

Technical User
Feb 7, 2005
US
I have an 1140e with a PC port that doesn't work. I have tried disabling the port and reenabling it to no avail. I would try swapping out the phone of course, but unfortunately I don't have a spare. So, I'm left with hoping there is a solution other than it being a broken phone.

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

J

The only way to verify it is not a bad phone port is to swap it with another phone in that location. Or do you really only have 1 1140e phone in the building?

If you plug the same PC and same cable into another phone and it works then you can also use that to verify the 1st phone has a bad port.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Yes, I really only have one 1140e in the building. It is the big boss man's phone. [smile]

Here is your chance to justify having one on your desk also, testing purposes!

JohnThePhoneGuy

Indeed!

So I guess what I am asking is this: has anyone ever run into this issue and it WASN'T a bad port/phone? I realize it's unlikely since there only seems to be one option to manipulate the port itself but I thought I'd put the question out there before I go through the trouble of replacing this high profile phone.

You do have some network settings on the phone itself. has the phone worked before and stopped, or is this a new install?

JohnThePhoneGuy

I just stepped through mine, did you check the enable pc port on the newtowrk config menu?

JohnThePhoneGuy

Yes, that was the single config option that I referred to in my last post.

I've disabled it and reenabled it but it didn't work.

So what exactly happens or doesnt happen when you plug in the PC? Do you get any indication on the PC itself? Any On the NIC?

JohnThePhoneGuy

1st Question. Has it ever worked ?

If NO --> Are you using a straight or Crossover between phone and PC (Must be Straight).

If Yes --> What has changed ? Port speed on Data switches etc..

As stated, I'd take the network plug from the phone and plug directly into the pc. If the pc works, and the pc port is enabled on the phone, than its one of two things: Bad Phone (it happens) or network port not configured for voice and pc. If this is the only IP phone, chances are the latter, check with your network folks

Yes, the pc works when plugged directly into the cable the phone is using so it is more than likely the phone. I have ordered a replacement for it and hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back