Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10 DIGIT DIALING on a MICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiceRing

Vendor
Jan 13, 2012
US
As you know, there are still locations around the country using 7 digit dialing for local calls. But now the FCC is forcing every state into 10 digit dialing, allegedly for 911 purposes?
I had a call from a customer in Hawaii and Hawaiian Telcom just converted the state to 10 digit dialing and then had to pull it back because so many businesses were unable to dial out at all due to programming that is not set up for 10 digit dial.
I am referring to MICS, not sure of the s.w. version though. I see that there is a "DIALING PLAN" in SYSTEM PROGRAMMING, but am having trouble figuring out the exact program needed to change the number of digits for outgoing calls.
I will keep searching on TekTips, but the SEARCH fricking NEVER gets me anywhere.
Can you point me in the right direction? I am sure I will be having more calls soon.
Thank you

Version is under Maintenance/SystemVersion, get the SP Code then go here:
10 digit dialing allows for more Area Codes when a city needs more #'s but you might be thinking of allowing for the use of the new 988 for suicide prevention.

The Installer Guide would be the correct direction, also look at the FAQ's section.

It's a good time to read it and create/use Destination Codes with Routes instead of Line Pool codes.

Dialing Plan/Public

If you have a dest code of 9 then:
For local calls - add a length of 11 which is 1 for dest code, 10 for the phone #
For local LD calls - 1 for dest code, 1 for local LD, 10 for the phone #

The system starts to dial as soon as the last digit is entered.
Exception is if you made your length too long the system would give you more time/wait to dial those extra digits before it starts to dial.

Destination Codes and Routes
In Access Codes:
-Remove the External Code of 9 by default
-Remove the current pool code, i.e. if it's 9 change it to NONE

-In Services/Routes add any Route # such as 009 and tell it to use Pool/Bloc X (the pool your lines are currently in such as A or BlocA)
-In Services/Dest Codes add 9, Absorb All and under Normal use Route 009
-In Services/2nd DialTone you can add dial tone after the dest code is dialed.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

It turns out that I was wrong about what system is at this site, I hadn't ever been to this one. It is actually a BCM 400!
Horse of a different color.
Going to start a new thread also.

Found out that they have a PRI. I am unable to get into the system through a telset (walking local contact through programming) because Telco changed the password long ago, OR disabled telset programming. I have no access through BEM since it is not connected for remote access and is in another state.
Looks like I need to sell them VoIP.

Not sure what the s.w. version is. Couldn't find how to delete that other thread. I hit DELETE, but nothing happened.

Today I got a call from another company reporting CDO with the new 10 digit local dialing. They have a verified Norstar MICS 4.0 SP30 MlF01 I have the 4.0 manual and there were 2 of us working on it and the needed sections just do not exist. Pages 283-286 show the info needed. The problem is that there is NO programming available for CARRIER ACCESS CODES or CARRIER CODES option. Am I building a whole new route? There is absolutely no place I can find the place where the system is programmed with 7 digits that I can change to 11. They have a PRI. Also can't find where the external code 9 is. Really stuck.

This is your info, please see my notes:

Dialing Plan/Public **THIS DOES NOT EXIST, THE WORDS "DIALING PLAN"**

If you have a dest code of 9 then: **I DON'T FIND THIS DEST CODE, WHAT ROUTE SHOULD IT BE IN FOR A SYSTEM WITH A PRI?**
For local calls - add a length of 11 which is 1 for dest code, 10 for the phone #
For local LD calls - 1 for dest code, 1 for local LD, 10 for the phone #

The system starts to dial as soon as the last digit is entered.
Exception is if you made your length too long the system would give you more time/wait to dial those extra digits before it starts to dial.

Destination Codes and Routes
In Access Codes:
-Remove the External Code of 9 by default
-Remove the current pool code, i.e. if it's 9 change it to NONE

-In Services/Routes add any Route # such as 009 and tell it to use Pool/Bloc X (the pool your lines are currently in such as A or BlocA)
-In Services/Dest Codes add 9, Absorb All and under Normal use Route 009
-In Services/2nd DialTone you can add dial tone after the dest code is dialed.
**AM I CREATING A NEW ROUTE??**

"There is absolutely no place I can find the place where the system is programmed with 7 digits that I can change to 11"
phoneguy427 (TechnicalUser)6 Mar 22 13:20
Under your Dialing Plan, Public Network, DN Length=7 change it to 10.

This way to get there worked on my BCM via telset: SystemProgramming/DialingPlan/PublicNetwork/PubDNlenghts/, press SHOW then press NEXT to Prfx:Deflt, press SHOW then change to 10.
Example: Prefix Default might have a length of 7 (to allow xxx-xxxx), change it to 10 (to allow xxx-xxx-xxxx)

If other plans/prefixes were setup and you want to add the 3 more digits to them, then when your at SystemProgramming/DialingPlan/PublicNetwork/PubDNlenghts/ press SHOW, then keep pressing NEXT to see/adjust those prefixes required.
Example: Prefix 9 (dest code) for local calls might have a length of 8 (to allow 9-xxx-xxxx), change it to 11 (to allow 9-xxx-xxx-xxxx)
Example: Prefix 91 (dest code 9 + 1 for LD) for LD might have a length of 9 (to allow 91-xxx-xxxx), change it to 12 (to allow 91-xxx-xxx-xxxx)

Otherwise if you need still or just want to know how...

The problem is that there is "NO programming available for CARRIER ACCESS CODES or CARRIER CODES option"
Carriers Codes, that section is not required and why we have not mentioned it.

"Am I building a whole new route?"
Since they have PRI then they already have a Route setup default route is 000 or 001
Services/RoutingService/Routes/ enter route number (default is route is 000 or 001) but check your Dest code section to see what Route it uses.

"I DON'T FIND THIS DEST CODE of 9, WHAT ROUTE SHOULD IT BE IN FOR A SYSTEM WITH A PRI?"
Since they have PRI then they already have a Dest Code, ask what they use to dial out, examples: 9 or 91 or 8 etc.
Services/RoutingService/DestCodes/ enter the Dest Code

Also can't find where the external code 9
Since you updated that both systems are PRI (MICS and BCM) then this is not required.
Otherwise it is under Access Codes as mentioned
SystemProgramming/AccessCodes/External Code:

The main heading tree/map is on Manual page 191/PDF page 201

Since you cannot find all these items:
My old trick to keep pesky clients from accessing Config was to change it's password, then change Admin (sys coordinator) password to config.
Look at Manual page 193/PDF page 203, if that is all you see in programming, then that site has also been tricked and therefore you only have System Coordinator access.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

As far as the manual, page 201/210 is the programming we were working with last night. The NA-MICS 4.0 version.

SYSTEM PROGRAMMING ENDS at CbC limits. END OF LIST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back