Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

zw keep importing after I have moved a workstation to other container

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbeach

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2003
Hi Everyone
I´m using zfd 3.2 with nw5.1

This is what happens:
1. ZW imports a workstation and puts it in the default container.
2. I move the workstation to another container to get all workstations organized.
3. When I restart that workstation again it gets imported to the default container again.

It seems like ZW doesn´t realize that the object already exists and has been moved to another container so it imports it again.

Has anyone experienced this and can give me some pointers ?

/Dan

Under HKLM\Software\Novell\Workstation Manager there are several keys which define where a workstation will register.

In my environment, we have multiple import servers, depending on the user's context, so the key Import Server is set according to context.

What is probably happening is that the data under the Identification key is telling it where to write it's data to.

When moving a workstation to a different container, we run a file under sys\public labled unreg32.exe. This clears the appropriate data from the Indentification key. If the container has a different Import Server, we change that value as well, then have the user log into the appropriate container and they are then registered there.

We have also created an app object that will change the registration of a workstation when a user logs in. We will associate a group of users to this object when they move to a new office. The user has to have local admin rights for it to work though. If you want, I can send you the .axt file for it.

Here is the TID on it:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back