Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zoom in on a Chart in Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxschech

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
US
Using Excel 2003 and Window XP. I have chart in an excel file that was created by someone else. I would like to zoom in on the chart to see some of the data in order to add an arrow pointing to a specific portion of the chart (a line chart). When I try to zoom, this option is grayed out. Also View menu Zoom is grayed out.

Is the chart on the same worksheet as the data? If it is then you must deselect the embedded chart object before you can zoom. Do this by clicking in an empty cell. Then the zoom box should be available.

The chart is not on the same page as the data. It appears to be linked via formula to a different tab in the file. Since I can't seem to see any empty cells, I tried clicking to deselect the chart, but zoom is still unavailable.

If it's on a different worksheet it may be sized with window. Select View > Sized with window and try turning that off (if it is selected).

I have encountered charts that are sized with window in which I could not get the sizing to turn off. In these cases I usually just recreated the chart.

If you do recreate you may want to go to the options > chart tab and make sure that the "chart sized with window frame" checkbox is turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back