Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zone preference 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nels

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2001
GB

I am wishing to understand what is required in order to utilise Zone Preference for failover.

1. What clients / agents
2. any backend config requirements
3. if i have 2 sites (active/active) ie servering 50% of users, what is the best way to address failover?

Alot to ask, but thanks in advance
nels

Are your MF servers in two locations ?
If not then 1 most prefered server and one default preference should do it. Actually to think about it even if you have two zones that would do the trick anyway (2 servers at each site configured as above)

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

MF server will be split on two data centers.

the question is aimed more at the client policy for zone preference rather than ZDC elections

unless if not fullt understood yr answer.

cheers
Nels

1. If at two data centres then use a sql data store and replicate.

2. I would be putting two servers from home zone into client setup and one from other zone to enumerate.

3 You will need to make sure that apps are run at nearest zone, unless your plan is something else.

Cheers
Scott

i guess its very much dependent on where the client is coming in from and too..

thanks !
nels

It doesn't really matter where the client is, it does matter where the apps and data for said are.

Cheers
Scott

Scott,

thanks for the info so far, just need to better understand.

Scenario
2 Data Centres (DC1 & DC2)
Oracle as DataStore (Application level replication_
SAN per site

50% users on DC1 (local Mailboxes and Profiles Directory)
50% users on DC2 (local Mailboxes and Profiles Directory)

if i wanted to configure, for example MS Word, how would i configure / design for the Word to be available in DC1, and in DC2 if DC1 fails. At the moment 1 farm, 2 zones.

would i create Word1 for users in DC1 and Word2 for users in DC2 ?

If i use PNA or WI i can use ZOne preferences, but if i use full PN client how do i provide the failover capabiities for published Apps.

Thanks in advance
nels

If I understand correct, then the data collectors answer the queries for zones. In which case you should just publish word, and let the data collectors sort it out.

I think you can do it with policies. I would be doing WI tho, much more elegant.

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back