Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zone Alarm or Sygate? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanGlinka

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2002
US
I'm not sure if this is a very old discussion or not, but I couldn't find anything in the archives, and I wanted to see what everyone had to say.

I've been checking out Zone Alarm and Sygate for personal home network firewalls, and after checking both websites and the reviews on c|net and the like, I'm quite possibly more undecided than I was before.

Zone Alarm is the one more people seem to be talking about, but I've seen people post messages saying "ZA Sucks" and that everyone would be better off just getting Sygate.

I've also seen it the other way around, of course.

I'd like to get some information here, though, where I know most everyone seems to have a good head on their shoulders. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

I've used Zonealarm for ages. (Win 98) Never have any problems with it and it always seems to ask properly when a new programme wants to access the internet. Not used the other one so I can't comment. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

I have used ZA on many different systems and have found it to be great, easy to set up and use.

Hi,

I also sourcing for a great firwall for my PC use.
Since most people recommended fire zone, I had tried to use the free trial version.

As I was new in this area, I had to use the default setting, but seem like my outlook 2000 in my office which is accessing my company email and personal email is giving problem. Most of the time, I can't get my personal email which I access through smtp to work, my personal email will be jammed at my ISP, then I had to uninstall alarm zone before my email is working fine again.

Next, there is some website which after installing of alarm zone, I can login but can't see the words anymore.

What is wrong with my setting, please kindly advise me.

I rather prefer Agnitum Outpost Firewall. You ca go to their website to get more info on their products. Frankly, I have been using their Outpost lite version of their firewall product and so far no problems whatsoever.
Furthermore, it has capability for plugins and users can write their own plugins to put into their firewalls.

You may want to check out this website too:
It gives a comparison as well as the capability to test your system to see if you are protected. Note that there are a number of firewall products that are reviewed there and seeing it may give you more doubt as to which one is the best. :)

Regards.

virusim (Programmer) Aug 2, 2002

Hi,

I also sourcing for a great firwall for my PC use.
Since most people recommended fire zone, I had tried to use the free trial version.

As I was new in this area, I had to use the default setting, but seem like my outlook 2000 in my office which is accessing my company email and personal email is giving problem. Most of the time, I can't get my personal email which I access through smtp to work, my personal email will be jammed at my ISP, then I had to uninstall alarm zone before my email is working fine again.

Next, there is some website which after installing of alarm zone, I can login but can't see the words anymore.

What is wrong with my setting, please kindly advise me.

You have to allow more cookies, (privacy,cookie control, i only eliminated the problem by putting the slide to the off position. An other way is to iliminate privacy contral on I.E. (program control, programs, colum privacy; set it to off) this will also mean your add blocker wont work, thats why I chose the other way.

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back