Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zone Alarm and ICS - Static/Dynamic IP Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lram

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
US
Using ICS with Win2000 it is recommended that you allow clients to "obtain an address". In Zone Alarm you must identify clients with static address. Which is the correct way to set up ZA with ICS on Win2K?

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the lead on the mdal.exe problem (Realplayer) ,
but how about a lead or some info on how to eliminate the
cause ? Does this culprit make everything sluggish as I have
experienced lately ?

Thanks,

Mickie

With ICS, the internet machine must have an IP of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

In Zonealarm 3.x, on the firewall page, click on advanced and click on 'this computer is an ICS/NAT gateway' and make sure the ip address is 192.168.0.1.

ZoneAlarm should pick up your network card and identify the network subnet as 192.168.0.0, set this as your trusted zone (ie your network). So long as all machines connected on this network have an ip address 192.168.0.x (where x is from 2 to 255), the machines will be able to see each other and ZoneAlarm will allow them to connect.

If you are using a workstation as an ICS gateway, rather than a server, all machines on the network will need static addresses, however, if you are using Windows 2000 server, you will be able to use DHCP to assign addresses to your network, whichever way you use makes no difference to ZA at all.

I think when you install ICS on a workstation, there is a DHCP server installed by default.

Paul

RSA:

Thanks, I had implemented the static IPs, and gateway which work fine. A note to others intending to use ICS with ZA, you must use ZoneAlarm Pro. The free version does not support ICS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back