Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zone Alarm and Denial of Internet Access For Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielKBates

Technical User
Sep 14, 2001
GB
Not sure i should have started a new thread as I suppose it continues from the recommendation thread in a way. If it does then I apologise.

I am using zone alarm and its working fine in that its blocking attacks but now none of the users can access the internet (they could before i installed it). I set it up and have been working on that machine to access the internet for the last day or so, believing that everything was ok. The users are contacting me to say they cannot access the internet across the LAN. I suspected it may be the firewall so i have shut it down and now every one can connect.

Can someone advise me on what i need to do to enable the firewall AND allow the users to access the internet.

The machines are win2k pro if that helps.

Any help greatly appreciated as at the moment my network is wide open again.
Dan

Forgot to say, should zone alarm be installed on the users machines too?

Hello DKB,

I've experienced the same predicament awhile back and the only solution you have is to un-install the product thru the software itself.

ZoneAlarm is a nice tool when it is working but it is known to fail quite frequently and when it does, the symptoms you're describing is one of the biggest downfall of the product.

When it fails, it shuts down your entire internet activity. You cannot un-install it thru the ad-remove software in the control panel. If you do so, the entire program is still not removed. You still have embedded programs in your registry. You must un-install it thru the software itself. It has an un-install choice in your start programs list.

If you've already tried to un-install it thru the control panel, the only way to un-install it cleanly is to download the product again (use a different computer/network connectivity and copy it to a removeable disk) and follow the instructions above.

Any questions, I should see it posted here again.

Good luck,

SubNet7

Thanks.
Ive sorted it now. It was my own fault actually as I hadnt ticked one of the boxes but in future i'll know if anything goes wrong to try this.
Thanks again
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back