Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

zip drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wblue

Technical User
May 25, 2001
US
About every 3rd zip disc I put in the drive will not open. I get a popup that says 'not accessible' 'incorrect function'. I take the disc to another machine and it opens fine. Any ideas?

Assuming no conflicts in Device Manager etc., try reformatting the Zip disk in the drive which is giving trouble.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I'm talking about discs containing data.

Well, copy the data off a disk that's causing trouble, and temporarily put it in a sub-dir on a hard disk. Then format the Zip disk, get Windows to do a surface scan, and if all is well, copy back your data.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

* Question:
* Do BOTH Computers have the SAME IOMEGA SOFTWARE ??

For Zip drives to function fully, you need to have the IOMEGA software installed on a Windows computer.
** I don't know about Windows XP...... this is for Win9x.

Check it out.

version 6.1 on both machines.

Hmm. It was a shot.

The only other KNOWN bug involving Windows machines and Iomega Zip Drives involves the
VIA Chipset - KT133 Or KT133A

Does your mainboard fit that description ?
** If it is an INTEL processor it DOES NOT fit that category, so you can ignore that trivia.

> I would email IOMEGA tech-support, and supply them with a slightly more detailed explanation of your problem. In the past, I have called them about 3-times, and they were quite helpful.
They might have an easy solution for you.

What OS do you use?

WinNT (and likely 2K) use a lazy write method and don't commit writes to the disk ASAP. You may need to use the eject function from the IOMEGA Software to physically eject each disk before replacing. I would like to know how to force the computer (or the OS) to commit writes to removable devices rather than caching them.

Frak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back