Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zip disk stuck in drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyontz

Technical User
Feb 2, 2002
US
I have a Mac G4 with a zip disk stuck in the drive. I have tried a lot of the solutions (i.e. reboot holding shift key, reboot holding down mouse key). There is no hole for the old eject with a paper clip tip. At this point I don't know if I have a bad zip disk, or a bad drive, but I need to get the disk out of the drive. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Don't know if this will be much help, but I seem to recall that the paper clip eject was on the back side of the external zip drives. You might want to open up the case to see if there is a hole on the rear of your internal drive. Good luck.

This is a very tough situation.

Are you able to READ the disk that's stuck?

I know from experience that there comes a time to unfortunately grab needlenose pliers and grab that sucker out.

Sounds like you've done everything else.

have you used the iTools from Iomega?
You might want to hit their web site and see if there's a soultion offered in their support pages.

Hope this heps a bit.

macgeneral

Depending on the zip drive, there is a manual eject - hold down the manual eject while booting should eject it.

If not, SCSI probe can be used to dismount.

You should be able to get the disk out by taking the cover off and holding the eject button at startup.

Lower the side, find the tab to release the plastic cover, remove it, then start up the system while holding the button.

If this doesn't work, remove the drive from the system, remove the cover, and find what is hanging the disk from ejecting.

I have had this samll problem and I had to release the side and remove the drive and found a paperclip hole once the drive had been removed.

I actually have a zip disk stuck in a G4 but cannot access files on it or get the computer to recognize the disc. how do you open files on zip in a mac?

I had this problem with my wife's Dell. Unfortunately, the drive died and I did what Macgeneral did, use the needlenose pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back