Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zip Code Lookup and Distance Calculation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

munkyCmunkyDU

Programmer
Jan 10, 2002
US
Hi,

I am researching zip code lookup and distance calculation (ie "What zipcodes are within x miles from zipcode y?"). I see that there are many packages I can purchase out there but I'd kind of like to try building my own. Does anyone know of a tutorial out there I could look at or an open-source solution?

Thanks in advance
MunkyCMunkyDU

Kris

Thanks for the link. For this one though I'm looking for a Microsoft solution... using ASP/ASP.NET/SqlServer2000.

MunkyCMunkyDU

Yes Kris, I did research this prior to posting...but only for about an hour. I was focussing on words like "zip code distance calculation". What I found this afternoon was that my searches were more effective when I dropped the "zip code" and used "latitude longitude" instead. This produced immediate results.

Also, the concept of "open-source" being relegated to the world of linux/unix based technology is somewhat simplistic. There are some nice open-source tools out there written entirely on Microsoft platforms. An example of one that I have been using recently with smaller shared hosting clients is a great little stats program, StatCounteX ( Additionally, some are saying that we are beginning to see Microsoft quietly support portions of the "open-source" mindset (
Again, thank you for both of your replies. I appreciate the time you and others spend on forums helping others out. In the future I will try to be more clear on what I am looking for when I have platform limitations.

MunkyCMunkyDU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back