Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ZIP & UNZIP 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

linousa

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2013
US
What's the best solution to zip and unzip files/folders nowadays?

The most comprehensive to not just be able to zip and unzip a whole archive but also add single files, extract single files, get a list of included files, have a progress display is VFPCompression. Results are also fully compatible to be used with winzip, winrar or 7zip.

You can also zip and unzip with the OS itself. See faq184-5113
Just one caution with this: Since you're working with a secondary process here (Shell.Application), your code continues before the actions you trigger are complete. There are several threads here about this way of zipididip, that point out detail problems with it.

And also look into the whole FAQ section, that has extremely many posts on that topic.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Hi Linousa,

In addition to Olaf’s recommendations you could look at xzip.dll. This free dll will zip and unzip files and is well documented for use with VFP.

Just google or xzip.dll and you will find the right URL for downloads and instructions.

Good luck,

Gerrit

Sweet Potato Software's VFPCompression is very good. I use it daily.

I think it is based on the xzip.dll

The only reservations I have are the 2GB limit on the file size, and a certain amount on instability that does appear when the final zip files approach that size.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back