Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zif Socket Clip Broken!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arenief

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
MY
Hi...Good Day ...

What can i do , when my zif socket clip for my heatsink was broken?If had any socket for that problem , please tell me quickly.....thank you....

Anything that will hold pressure on the spring clip or on the heatsink itself. Like a pair of paperclips from the M/B mounting screws up and over the the spring clip or through the heatsink.
You want some pressure to insure contact. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

With regard to your broken processor socket heatsink clips. . .

For socket 370, socket 7 and its predecessors; thermal epoxy (i.e., glue) is easy and worth considering. I have a few heatsink/fan combos that clip directly to the processor itself. These are for older 486 systems. I don't know where to obtain them today and I am doubtful if anyone made them for Pentium processors. The heatsink/fan combo on most 586 processors requires the clips to attach to the MoBo. The paperclip idea maywork, but you need to be careful when attaching anything metal to you MoBo. If you accidentally create an electrical contact somewhere on the board, you may fry something. NOT GOOD. If the system is not state of the art, another option is to purchase a new MoBo.

My $0.02

Frak

Did you say the metal clip itself or the catch on
the zif socket? If you are talking about the catch
on the zif, what kind of mobo are you using?
There are some with a set of four holes around
the socket. If that's how your mobo looks like,
you can get yourself another heatsink that can
fit with the 4 holes.

Use heatsink compound over eveything but 4 small corners of the cpu. Place a drop of superglue in each corner and apply the heatsink. You can get the heatsink compound at Radio Shack.

Bob

oooooch!!!!!!
I am guessing that you have snapped off just the centre lug on the ZIF socket????
If this is so you have TWO more lugs!!!!!!!
ALL YOU NEED TO DO is buy a heatsink that has a 3 lug fastener, like the Taisol CGK 760092 (copper bottomed, AMD recommended up to 2gig) around $22/£17.
the two outer lugs will be sufficient to hold the heatsink on firmly (remember most clips only utilize the centre lug) forget the super glue! Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back