Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zero length fields on Append Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroanarchy

Technical User
Jun 11, 2001
AU
I am hoping someone might be able to help me with this I have been pulling my hair out for days.

I am getting the following error on running my append query:
and 2 record(s)due to validation rule violations.

How it works, it imports one table into another and if the fields are blank then it assigns a value to the blank field, now when I run this under a select query it looks great but for some reason I get an error on the append.

Here is the code: and if anyone has fives min I would be happy to send you a copy to look at.

INSERT INTO Regestration ( parkcode, drainageline, roadsideinfestation, Loginname, Northings, Eastings, infestedarea, riskrating, vegetationtype, soil, monthtobetreated, commonlocationname, dateregistered, speconstraints, specialconsiderations, Logindate, lifecycle, strata, Yeartobetreated )
SELECT IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[parkcode]) Or ([hhreg].[parkcode]=""),0,[hhreg].[parkcode]) AS Expr1, HHreg.drainageline, HHreg.roadsideinfestation, "HandHeld" AS Expr15, Left([Northings],8) AS Expr19, Left([Eastings],8) AS Expr20, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[infestedarea]) Or ([hhreg].[infestedarea]=""),0,[hhreg].[infestedarea]) AS Expr3, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[riskrating]) Or ([hhreg].[riskrating]=""),"NoneSet",[hhreg].[riskrating]) AS Expr4, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[vegetationtype]) Or ([hhreg].[vegetationtype]=""),"NoneSet",[hhreg].[vegetationtype]) AS Expr5, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[soil]) Or ([hhreg].[soil]=""),"NonetSet",[hhreg].[soil]) AS Expr6, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[monthtobetreated]) Or ([hhreg].[monthtobetreated]=""),"January",[hhreg].[monthtobetreated]) AS Expr7, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[commonlocationname]) Or ([hhreg].[commonlocationname]=""),"NoneSet",[hhreg].[commonlocationname]) AS Expr9, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[dateregistered]) Or ([hhreg].[dateregistered]=""),Date(),[hhreg].[dateregistered]) AS Expr10, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[speconstraints]) Or ([hhreg].[speconstraints]=""),"None",[hhreg].[speconstraints]) AS Expr13, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[specialconsiderations]) Or ([hhreg].[specialconsiderations]=""),"None",[hhreg].[specialconsiderations]) AS Expr14, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[logindate]) Or ([hhreg].[logindate]=""),Now(),[hhreg].[logindate]) AS Expr16, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[lifecycle]) Or ([hhreg].[lifecycle]=""),"NoneSet",[hhreg].[lifecycle]) AS Expr17, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[strata]) Or ([hhreg].[strata]=""),"NoneSet",[hhreg].[strata]) AS Expr18, IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[yeartobetreated]) Or ([hhreg].[yeartobetreated]=""),"2003",[hhreg].[yeartobetreated]) AS Expr8
FROM HHreg;

[afro]Zeroanarchy Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Instead of using
IIf(IsNull([hhreg].[lifecycle]) Or ([hhreg].[lifecycle]="") try
IIf(len([hhreg].[lifecycle]) =0)

I have noticed isnull can be a little unpredictable at times.

HTH

BEN ----------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
----------------------------------------

will that work with both text and numeric?

Thanks

[afro]Zeroanarchy Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Well I can not believe this but this method does not work wither I am getting the same error:"and 2 record(s)due to validation rule violations."

Code:

INSERT INTO Regestration ( parkcode, drainageline, roadsideinfestation, Loginname, Northings, Eastings, infestedarea, riskrating, vegetationtype, soil, monthtobetreated, commonlocationname, dateregistered, speconstraints, specialconsiderations, lifecycle, strata, Yeartobetreated, Logindate )
SELECT IIf(Len([hhreg].[parkcode])=0,0,[hhreg].[parkcode]) AS Expr1, HHreg.drainageline, HHreg.roadsideinfestation, "HandHeld" AS Expr15, Left([Northings],8) AS Expr19, Left([Eastings],8) AS Expr20, IIf(Len([hhreg].[infestedarea])=0,0,[hhreg].[infestedarea]) AS Expr3, IIf(Len([hhreg].[riskrating])=0,"NoneSet",[hhreg].[riskrating]) AS Expr4, IIf(Len([hhreg].[vegetationtype])=0,"NoneSet",[hhreg].[vegetationtype]) AS Expr5, IIf(Len([hhreg].[soil])=0,"NonetSet",[hhreg].[soil]) AS Expr6, IIf(Len([hhreg].[monthtobetreated])=0,"January",[hhreg].[monthtobetreated]) AS Expr7, IIf(Len([hhreg].[commonlocationname])=0,"NoneSet",[hhreg].[commonlocationname]) AS Expr9, IIf(Len([hhreg].[dateregistered])=0,Date(),[hhreg].[dateregistered]) AS Expr10, IIf(Len([hhreg].[speconstraints])=0,"None",[hhreg].[speconstraints]) AS Expr13, IIf(Len([hhreg].[specialconsiderations])=0,"None",[hhreg].[specialconsiderations]) AS Expr14, IIf(Len([hhreg].[lifecycle])=0,"NoneSet",[hhreg].[lifecycle]) AS Expr17, IIf(Len([hhreg].[strata])=0,"NoneSet",[hhreg].[strata]) AS Expr18, IIf(Len([hhreg].[yeartobetreated])=0,"2003",[hhreg].[yeartobetreated]) AS Expr8, Date() AS expr21
FROM HHreg;

when you make it again.

You may have to apply different tests depending on the data type of the source field. I.e. for string fields apply your 'if=""' test, but for numeric fields I'm not sure that the test will detect the empty value.

I would tend to use the Nz() function and apply the test after. For string values...

iif(nz(stringfield,"") = "", Value for empty, value for not empty)

for numeric fields ...

iif(nz(numberfield,0) = 0, Value for empty, value for not empty)

Also ensure that the values you are adding to your table are the correct data type i.e. don't try to write 'NotSet' into a numeric field.

Here is where it gets interesting, I turned my Append into a Select Query to Find that all the fields where populated with the correct data. when it is converted back into a Append the error still remains. I have checked the fields that are being append only one is numeric the rest are text. (numeric =infestedarea)

I am hoping someone has an answer, this has got me pulling my hair out.[pc]

when you make it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back