Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ZenWorks with MS's client instead of Novell's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelesis

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
Please forgive me if this seems like an ignorant question.

Is it possible to run applications pushed to a user with ZenWorks using Microsoft's Novell Client instead of Novell's own client? I don't actually believe that this is possible, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has ever made it work. We currently have a couple of users that prefer to work without the Novell client, and really don't have a need for the applications distributed via Zenworks. If they decided that they did want those applications at a later date would it be at all possible to do this?

I've never tried it, but I believe you have to have a Novell Client32 installed for Zen apps. I think they specify a minimum version of NWClient also (3.1 or newer maybe?)

No dice, in the CURRENT version of ZENworks, you must have Client32 installed. Now notice that I mentioned CURRENT version. This is one of the things that Novell is implementing in a future release is that you will need NO Novell Client in order to benefit from many features of ZENworks. I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

-Mike
Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

RE: ... "you will need NO Novell Client in order to benefit from many features of ZENworks."

That will be very interesting to see, as it is now, ZenWorks is implemented through the client. Different client versions seem to have a significant impact on ZenWorks issues. Working on the W2K side the 4.8 client has allegedly added new functionality, and that client has since been patched specifically for ZenWorks 3.0

I am a bit puzzled myself as to how they will make these features run. I am ASSUMING that what they are talking about is will only be a WIN2K platform (or later) solution that they will get rid of the "client" front end and that they will then run "services" to enable specific features such as Remote Control, NDPS, Inventory and so on. This is pure speculation as to how I think that they will accomplish their goal of no more Client. Basically, I think that they will just use the Microsoft GINA and let everything else happen in the background thru services.

Just my thoughts

-Mike
Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back