Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ZEN in an inActive Directory environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychoid

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2002
US
Hi everyone.
I'm currently working on a project in an all-Windows NT/2000 environment. This is causing me to break out in hives that look like Steve Ballmer's head, but that's another story completely.

This company currently uses NT domains, but are in the first stages of rolling out inActive Directory.

I've noticed that they have a very inefficient desktop support strategy, so I thought this might be a good opportunity to propose ZEN.

My thought is that we could put eDir & ZEN on a 2 or 3 of their Win2K servers (and that would leave them with 137 Windows servers left over that they can play solitaire on while doing their Windows Updates).

I'd like any of your real-world experience with how well ZEN works in an all MS environment, particularly the sync between ADS & eDir using DirXML.

thanks

------------
Bill
Consultant / Network Engineer
CNE, CCNA

I worked with a local Novell SE to build a proof of concept test bed for ZEN4 on Winblows servers. I was not allowed to use any NetWare for either the backend or midteir server because the Netware support group did not want to have anything to do with the desktop support group. It was one of the most pain in the ars test beds I had ever built, I eventually got my self reassigned because I started to twitch working with such jerky NOS.

You more than likely will want to use the clientless features in ZFD4 so you don't have to "infect" the win enviroment the companies local support group is used to. You will need to explain the difference between a client and and agent. Many Microsoftiens don't get it and need to have their head twisted tighter to understand the difference. BUT, since the ZEN agent does replace the normal login window, it will be hard to explain. I haven't seen it, but there is supposed to be a way to bring back the M$ login window.

The midtier server does not seem to be able to access the file system with in the Windoze world very well when the backend server is also Wingeez. So expect your client to require a Wins authentication to the backend server, even though the midtier should do it. Because of this, do not expect to get Web Apps to be able to deploy correctly.

I have a report someware from the SE that finnished up the test bed, not sure if the client bought into it, never heard anything. I can see if she documented any of the fixes for the annoying problems we ran into.

Provogeek

Saving the world, one network at a time
[rofl][rofl]

My goal, and the biggest challenge, here is to get Novell products back in the door. Apparently, they ripped out their NetWare systems 2 years ago after somebody decided to -XK2 the wrong servers without any backups. We came in here to fix the situation, but they had basically killed their entire Directory. They decided to start using MS products instead of rebuilding their Directory.

Of course, they're all MCSE's here, so it's an uphill battle, but I may be able to talk sense into their IT Director.

If all goes well, we'll be able to do a complete analysis and prototype & then roll into the project. If we get approval, I'm sure that I'll have plenty of other questions for you since I haven't really touched ZEN since v3.

thanks

Bill

------------
Bill
Consultant / Network Engineer
CNE, CCNA

send me an email (in profile), I have something for ya that might help bring you up to speed on ZFD4

Provogeek

Saving the world, one network at a time
[rofl][rofl]

Hey, I know a Company that has successfully deployed this exact scenario. They are a large consulting firm whom we employ from time to time. The name of the company is NovaCoast
I know they had to work through a few problems, but have deployed this for a large company (sporting goods co, i think). It may be worth a few hours of their time to save you some hassle.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back