Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zalman HD501 or Thermaltake VB8000BNS for HTPC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmattey

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
GB
Hello,

I'm building a HTPC, my motherboard already has a remote so not bothered about the lcd etc..

I'm going to get either the Zalman HD501:

Or

Thermaltake VB8000BNS

I've had my eye on the Zalman for a while but then saw the thermaltake, still leaning towards the zalman to be honest but want to know what people think to get or their experiences with these or similar htpc cases??

Many thanks.

Asus P5K Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive
Nvidia 8500GT Super 512MB

I've not used either, but from what I'm seeing so far, I'd go with the Zalman.

Here's one detailed review:

The Thermaltake seems to get mixed user reviews:

and

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

And from the looks of them, I'd say the Zalman appears to be made better, and it definitely looks better - just from an aesthetics point of view.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Thanks for the input, yes the zalman does look better, for a htpc the thermaltake might look a bit cheap and the zalman has hot swapable hard drives etc...

thanks

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

I built my htpc a little over a year ago. I actually got a silverstore gdmx-01 (sorry, only picture I could find of it now - looks like it's discontinued...) as it really has nothing showing other than the LCD display. All of the other things like the dvd-drive and firewire/usb/etc stuff is hidden behind panels. My friends thought it was another piece of a/v equipment until I showed them the panels.

As for the two that you have, the zalman looks better to me as it has the "hidden" effect that makes it look like another piece of a/v equipment that blends into your equipment. :)

Yeah think i'll go for the Zalman to be honest, looks good and will blend in. The HD503 dont see the point in paying extra £60 for a lcd when ive got a remote for my mobo. just get the HD501 for cheaper.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back