Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

YUM doesn't update some packages

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan147

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
GB
Good afternoon

I am using YUM to update my servers from a local repository. Everything seemed to have been working as I expected it to until I checked the version of some oracle asm packages. Although the packages in the repository are newer than those installed on the servers YUM does not update them.

yum list installed will show the packages as being installed

but yum list updates does not show the updated packeage.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks

Alan

When Yum goes off the rails, as it sometimes does, I try 'yum clean all'. If that doesn't fix it, then I panic.

alan147,

Did you refresh your local repository after you added new packages? You would run something like:

Code:
createrepo /path/to/repository

I had tried yum clean all and had got to the panic stage, hence the post.

There is no createrepo option with yum 2.4.2

Alan

Alan,

"createrepo" is not an option of yum; it is a separate package under Red Hat Linux 5 which provides an executable as /usr/bin/createrepo.

What flavor of Linux are you working with?

I'm using Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (October Update 8), there is no createrepo.

Alan

Alan,

I am pretty sure that version of Linux uses the "up2date" command, not the yum command. For example:

[tt][tab]/usr/bin/up2date -pu[/tt]

ZaSter, you can use either; not sure whether they behave differently though... does anyone know that?

Annihilannic.

Thanks for your ideas, we are going to upgrade our environment to 64 bit Rel 5 before the end of the year, I'll try again with YUM after that.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back