Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

YTD in list report

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajmns

Programmer
Nov 29, 2007
US
Hi All,

I am trying to build a YTD list report. The users will be prompted for a date which is in YYYY-MM format. If they select say, 2007-09, the report should contain data from 2007-01 to 2007-09. If they select 2006-07, the report should have values from 2006-01 to 2006-07. Can anyone suggest me on how to do that?

Thank you.

Depends on what sort of dating columns you have in your table. If you have year and month in character format, it's as simple as adding a filter something like: [yearcolumn]=substr(?yearmonthparam?,1,4) and [monthcolumn]<=substr(?yearmonthparam?,6,2)

If you have a date column, you'll need to manipulate it or the prompt parameter with your database's or Cognos' date functions to get comparable values for your filter.

Thanks for the reply. The date is in numeic format. And I should use only one field that has month and date. I cannot use the month only field or year only field. How can I do that?

Thanks again.

Do you mean that your date column is numeric, like 200,601 for January 2006?

If so use a filter something like...

[datecolumn] BETWEEN to_number(substr(?param?,1,4))*100 AND to_number(substr(?param?),1,4))*100+to_number(substr(?param?,6,2))

...with appropriate Cognos' and/or your db functions.

no, the date is in the format 2007-10 for october etc..

OK, so you don't need to do any numeric conversion, you can just substring and/or concatenate as necessary. The gist of it is you need the filter to do 2 things, select the correct year and and select up to the correct month. Whether you do this as two ANDed conditions or a single BETWEEN is your call, you might want to experiment and see if one approach gives better performance than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back