Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Your password will expier in 14 days 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleym

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
I have one DC, with no security policies enabled, yet recently, when users logged into their Win 2k pro machines, they get a message saying their passwords will expire in 14 days (13 now). They are not able to change their passwords, this has been set in active directory users and computers for every account. How can I fix this so that the message goes away?

AM

you might want to check under your default domain policy -> computer configuration -> windows settings -> Account Policies -> Password Policy. Under that you should see somthing that says maximum password age. you can change this and shouldn't see the message again.

Hope this helps

Thanks mrfroggigger, I have, its not defined at all, which is what is puzzling me. Any suggestions?

AM

I am having the same issue. I don't get a message stating that the password will expire. I just try to change the password and get the following message, "The password on this account cannot be changed at this time." This is happening for all users. I have check the default policy and the OU policy and both have Minimum Password Age set to 0.

check the local computer policy on each workstation. Since no policies are set on the site, domain, or oU it refers back to the local computer policy. It will be in the same place as mrfroggigger said but on the workstations them selves

Let me know how it goes.

it could the policy under Computer.Security.Interactive Logon.Prompt user to change password before expiration.

but then again, i've imported XP ADMs into my domain so that could be one of the XP policy.

If you do not set any policy, in a Domain Controlled Environment the default is set to 14 days, so you have NOT a problem, but just facing the default DC management. If you want a different management you must define your custom policy.

For defaults see (for instance) and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back