Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Your own URL???

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolade

Technical User
Nov 8, 2001
AU
I've been arguing with someone about having their own URL rather than using the free one provided by their service provider.

I beleive it is more professional to have your own url rather than using the freebie available to you.

e.g. I have created a website for my wife's business (and this may sound like I am contradicting myself, however I have just set this up and she has been running this business successfully for sometime without a website) at

however I believe if you are going to run a business you should have;

His argument is that it doesn't matter when it comes to search engines etc, but my argument is that having your own url is a lot more professional.

Your thoughts would be appreciated (and any feedback on my wife's website woyuld also be appreciated)

Thanks

Woolade

I agree. It looks professional, and even on a practical level, it's easier for people to follow. Besides, if your client doesn't make it into the first page or two of major search engines, then forget about relying on them.

People also rely on memory, and having an easy to remember URL will work to your benefit. The trouble with many clients, though, is that they think they know what works. If you want some arguments to back you up, look at some of Jacob Nielsen's articles. His site's not pretty, but at least he has years of user testing to back up his theories.

(see point 4)

Hi,

couple of comments.
First, I don't know if it would in any way affect search results, perhaps some search engines like to weed out the billion or so geocities sites from their databases??

I do know one thing though, if I am looking for a business to supply me a product or service ad their site is hosted on Tripod I will press the back button immediatly. I find it hard to believe anyone would think it acceptable to have a business site on a free account!
No offence to Freebie users, i've used them too. They are fine for family albums or playing with scripts but NOT for a business website.
This person you're argueing with, get a long stout plank and whack him across the head with it, it may wake him up.
:)
I personally think if your want to be taken seriously, whether you run a business or sports club etc etc etc, you gotta get your own URL!

::

I also don't know how having a freebie site will affect you search engine ranking, but I've heard that links from those sites do not count for your link popularity, so I would assume that there is some advantage with having your own URL.
Also, the main disadvantage about have a site on freeservers or tripod is that they pop up adds all over! It's one thing to advertise something that your user might be interested in, but those random popups are extremely annoying.

rick

1. Having your own URL IS more professsional. Simple website hosting isnt that expensive these days. So your potential customer will be thinking "This company can't afford there own website." In fact, it would be better to NOT have one at all (from a PR standpoint) than a freebie.

2. You can more easily direct people to your site, whether by word or mouth or adversting in print. Its much easier to say (and easier for people to remember) "Go to our site, Flashpringing.com, for all your printing needs." Especially if you can name your site close to the business name, people will always remember it, as oppose to trying to remember Think of all the advertising ads you've seen with just a few words.

3. You aren't depending on another site for you site's life.

I agree. Having your own URL is more professional. It greatly adds to the credibility of the website, rather than looking like some basement-run shop.

Want to be taken seriously? Get the URL. It's a small cost. The whole search engine argument is pretty irrelevant, I think.

Not to offend anyone here, and no offense taken, but I use a "freebie" host. I like their editor, disc space and extras, but I upgraded from "free". We pay to have the ads taken off (4.95/mo) and registered the URL through them ($34.00 (?)/year).
Those rates apply at Angelfire. It's not 100% smooth - the URL points to the Index page; subsequent pages have the long tag - but everything within the site is accessible from the Index.
That's my semi-pro, boutique approach, meaning I've got a few clients and a few more coming who understand I am not in the league (or price range) of the super pros.
There are no pop-ups or pop-unders on any of my pages, I've got a compact address and use their Advanced editor, a variation of WebEdit, I think.

Whatever, having your own URL is good in all ways - professional image, pyschological boost for you/client, fits on a business card...

my 2 1/2 cents...

tysu

tysu,

you can get a URL for $15/year and hosting from better companies for the same price that you are paying now. PLUS you get to have your own URL for ALL the pages not just the index page. Personally I don't see ANY advntage to the way you have done it. No offence, I just don't see the point of doing it that way when you can do it better for less.

You also may have many other hosting oprions that you don't get with Angelfire.

What are the best deals people have seen? I usually get my URLs off (who, btw, will let you redirect it to another domain, such as a freebee, and forward your mail to another address). I think it's around $15/year. I know there are cheaper out there, but I sorta worry in case any of them are, how should I put it... less reputable. Just paranoid I guess.

As for hosting, I use who also have a free hosting service. They support asp, have no ads, etc (although to get your own domain name you have to register, or else use a workaround such as with buydomains).

So, technically, it's possible to get a URL and hosting for $15 a year. I prefer to pay a bit extra with the hosting so I can get a few more features (not least speed!), but what other deals are there out there to get your own URL and budget hosting (preferably with server side goodies)?

BTW, I'm not affiliated with any of the companies above!

Thanks to all for your feedback.

By the way, anyone now of a good deal in Australia e.g. .com.au?

I have searched through quite a few and all deals are different - all I want is a good reliable cheap host.

woolade "Throw another shrimp on the barbie!"

My registrar is $15 per year. My host is Webmasters.com, it's a big account (750mb + lots of options) but i wouldn't necessarily recommend them.
For hosting I would recommend Uplinkearth.com or dzones.com
Uplinkearth is very cheap and the support and friendly attention you get is outstanding.

Don't know about the Aussies but i'm sticking with American hosts, until I see anything better.

Hi All,
Belated response but I wanted to weigh in regarding having one's own URL.

I work in international trade out of Asia and my company receives dozens of email queries every day. If an email query comes in to us from a 'freebie' email address - yahoo, hotmail etc., we usually delete it without even opening it.

The main reason is that if the company contacting us does not even have enough money to have their own email address then they sort of advertise that they are not a serious company.

Perhaps unfair to those using 'freebies' but first impressions in business are important.

Of course, not all companies using 'paid for' emails and/or websites are legit but....

The webhost we use only costs USD250 a year and comes with 1,000 emails and unlimited forwarders. The same host's 'bog standard' is only a little over USD100 per year with 10 emails and unlimited forwarders so any 'company' that can't afford such a small investment in their business appears on the surface to be one for which the time investment of even contact appears - in advance - to be unwarranted.

IMHO, 'freebies' are great for postings on forums and for dealing with friends and relatives, and for submitting forms and such, (and I do use a freebie for such aspects) but if one is interested in doing business then I feel a 'freebie' puts a negative face to that all important first contact.

Sort of like a physical address 'two doors past the barbershop, upstairs, and third door on the right just past the potted palm.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back