Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Your choice for service vehicle: Truck or Van?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mforrence

Vendor
Aug 7, 2004
US
Greetings,

This is a question to other interconnect folks out there. We need to purchase a new service vehicle in the next month or so. With fuel prices climbing, we're considering going to a compact pickup with utility-type cap vs. a 1/2 ton cargo van. While I'm sure that we'd like the significantly improved fuel economy (probably 10+/- MPG better), we're concerned that the truck/cap combo may not do the job that we need.

Like most interconnects, we carry tool box, some amount of cable, basic replacement parts (line cords, handsets, etc). Of course, no two businesses run the same - but we'd like to hear from folks who have used a compact pickup arrangement (or preferably from a business owner who has paid the bills for both van and pickup versions). Let us know your thoughts. Thanks!
Mike

i know someone who went from a pickup truck to a van - mainly for increased storage

I have run service on several vehicles
Ranger - With a cab and ladder rack.
This was good on milage and ease of driving but when there was a big cut not enough room we allways had to get things delivered to customer site.
Dodge minivan - POS dont bother.
Ford and Dodge 1/2 ton with ladder racks were great! 6 cly was kind of slow but did the job.
Best was the F250 Diesel with ladder rack.
Pleanty of room but hard to manuver in downtown traffic.

Mextera

I like the vans cuz it is pain to crawl into a pickup truck to get stuff at the back.
I have a Ford Ranger and find it able to carry much more of a load than a Toyata Tacoma, but the ride is so stiff as to be dangerous when hitting a bump in a corner on the highway. I wrote much info over on edmunds.com under forums concerning the Ranger. I wouldn't advise on buying one unless price is the only consideration.
You can buy toppers for a compact truck that has lockable boxes on the side, and I would probably go with that system rather than just a basic topper.

We use Chevy Ventures and get great gas mileage 28-30 mpg on the highway about 12 or a bit more in the city. With the extended version there is enough room to carry a 72" high 19" relay rack with the headache rack installed in the van.

We used a Ranger and found it was a pain most of the time..as you had to reach in from the sides and try to get stuff out of it....also it seems like everything we had in there ended up on the bottom of all kinds of junk..just didn't work out..We bought a full size Ford E150 and love it..has all the bins and racks in it and it's great...Only problem, If you are in a city beware of parking garages..We are limited as to where we can park...it's about 4" to high in most of ours.....

Ford transit van 35mpg or merecdes sprinter 30mpg both great vans probably faster than gas guzzling petrols anyway and loads of space.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

If you go with the pickup, be sure to get a cap that has the side windows that flip open (not sure about the others, but Leer offers this).

This feature helps overcome the access issue which is the worst problem with pickups.

good luck

I have had trucks broken into, which is much easier by the way. Our van is the only way to go, with lockable storage units caged windows. Much more secure.

Sola Scriptura

I like my pickup and will continue that vs vans Ive had in the past

it works for me

I have a cap that opens three ways so access isnt a problem

security is a issue , almost any key will unlock the cap or evan a small screwdriver Ive been going to look into doing something about it ben lucky so far I guess

Thanks to all for responses. The concensus seems to be that vans are preferred, but pickup with an appropriate cap is OK - so long as the cap is secure and provides access to the portion of the bed closest to the cab (where "stuff" will inevitably land). Improved security of van seems to be another recurring theme.

Any further comments are most welcome.

Mike

Reliability is a big thing for me, so I use Consumers Reports from the library or Edmunds.com to see which is the best vehicle. Edmunds is great cuz is has forums that users talk about 'known' problems that dealerships give free repairs if you make a stink, but otherwise stonewall you. Generally Toyota and Honda are the best, but of course they cost more too. GM and Mercedes/Chysler usually has more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back