Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

You need permission to perform this action

Status
Not open for further replies.

lost4life

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2003
US
I have an enduser running Vista Bussiness. When they try to rename a folder or a file on a dfs share they get a message that stats: You need permission to perform this action. The user has modify rights to the folder and files contained within it. I have recently replaced their laptop. The original laptop is running XP and the user is able to make all they changes they want to the dfs share. I have disabled UAC, made the user the local admin, and disabled the firewall. I have also enabled auditing on the server but it does not report any failures.

Not much help here.

Vista Domain connectivity VERY flakey

Microsoft have some Hotfixes for similar sounding troubles, maybe they can help you if you contact them?
DFS failover does not occur when a client computer that is running Windows Vista tries to connect to a DFS root server that is unavailable, and you receive an error message: "System error 1214 has occurred"

Step-by-Step Guide to Distributed File System (Dfs)

I found that it is something with the PC itself. I had the user log into another computer running vista and they were able to make changes to the dfs share without a problem. It is some user permission on the local PC - domain admins of course of not having a problem.

What is in the laptop's Event Viewer?

Would a new user created on the laptop suffer the same problems?

Would removing the laptop and rejoining the Domain fix it?

Removed the computer from the domain and no change. I have also been told that it is happening to other users as well. Looking online, I found a few posts stating that it is a known issue with Vista. The event viewer does not show anything about it and I also logged in with a different user with the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back