Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

You get what you pay for 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2002
US
This showed up in the Salt Lake Tribune classifieds ( on Sunday, May 2nd. This is an example of how ridiculous some employers can get, and unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've seen ads like this:

"COMPUTER IT director small company WXP, HTML, MYSQL, PHP, CGI, $8-$10/hr Fax resume 277-6557 ... "

I'm sorry, but when managers at McDonalds are making much more than $8-$10/hr, how can someone keep a straight face advertising for a "IT director" position that pays $8-$10/hr? How much do cooks make at McDonalds? Probably $8-$10/hr...

>Think for yourself<
...or someone else will do it for you.

jrbarnett, thats a great idea!

Yea, I found that typo in an ad for a network admin position.

Considering how much falsification of diplomas goes on in the world, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there who've already done it.

Heres another for MCCE:

"Microsoft Certfied Crisco Engineer".

>Think for yourself<
...or someone else will do it for you.

"you will have the LAN/WAN knowledge and work experience of a professional with 5 – 7 years of fulltime experience.

I think such thing is possible depending on the exposure of the 5-to-7-year-professional. The key point here is the word knowledge.

A 5-year experience in one particular region may be better than a 5-year in another specific region because of the difference in environments the professionals may be exposed in.
I, for example, have known 3 programmers from a certain country. One has 10+ years of experience and the other two has 3-4 years. Based on my assessment, the former (10+yrs) has a knowledge set comparable to a 2-year professional in my country while the latter two (3-4 yrs) barely match a student's skills.

On the other hand, I believe the ad was an exaggeration because LAN/WAN technology per se is not as complex as software design/development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back