Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

You Don't Have Permission.........?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrrl

MIS
Dec 26, 2001
US
I am running Mandrake-Linux V8.2 (at home). I have some files in my home dir that when I ftp (from work)into it won't let me overwrite them. I am listed as the owner and I am in the group also. I can upload new files, make new dirs and delete just fine. But it will not let me overwrite. Permission is set to 755 w/sticky bit set.

I am also using CoffeeCup HTML Editor and get the same results in my web page files. So I know it's got to do with the files permissions and not any of the programs I am using to ftp in with. I log in as a local user.

I have tried to set my primary group to root, but with the same results.

Any ideas?

TIA

So the permissions on the directory are drwxr-xr-t.
The files and the directory belong to the same user and you are using this user's account when you connect with ftp.
What are the permissions on the files ?

Is the directory marked as 'immutable'?

See the chattr man page for how to turn this off (chattr -i <dir> if my memory serves).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back