Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

segil

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
NL
Hi everybody,

following problem with Access 2000 database. Database is used on network by multiple users, with Access 2000 & 2003. No problems. One user received a new computer and is migrated from Office 2000 -> Office 2003. Since then he gets the following error message, when trying to open the database:
You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time
Then I have to click 20-30 times on OK, before the database is opened.

Now the strange part: when I open the database from Access (File->Open->browse...) it works fine! But when I open the database from the Windows Explorer, or from a Word file with a connection to the database, I receive this error message.
Is there something different between opening a file from the Windows Explorer, or from MS Access directly?

I did some more tests:
- Logging on using a domain admin account. Same problem, so there is no file rights issue.
- When I make a copy of the database and place it in the same directory, this works fine. I can open the database.
- The database is opened standard, not exclusively.

The only thing that is different on the new computer is the language of the software. Everything is in English, and the rest of the computers on the network is in Dutch. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Hopefully someone can help me out here!

Thanks.

I had this same problem once, and it was related to Adobe Acrobat trying to update the toolbar.

See thread181-1099630 for more details.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks!! It works, great!!!

Although the solution from Adobe is not very helpful. They recommend to remove the create PDF option from within Office. Well, that is just the whole idea of making PDF files from Office! It is a easy way for the customers to make PDF files... and they suggest to disable it... :-S

Thanks again, hopefully Acrobat 8 doesn't have this same problem.

The way I got past it was to have the customer uninstall Acrobat, and then re-install selecting not to plug in to Access.

Not a very clear error message for what's going on, is it?

First off - I had been stressing over this for ages, and can't believe it's something so innocuous as an Acrobat toolbar - but it was! Anyone know why?? Also, I didn't have to do an uninstall, I just did a 'Change' from the Add / Remove Programs entry, and removed the Access component - then did a log out / log in - and all is fine.

God bless this site!

G

In my case, the reason why this happened was that Acrobat was attempting to place an item on the toolbar. Because I had locked down the toolbars, this operation failed, resulting in the error message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back