Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

You are not connected to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

uptomyneck

Instructor
Aug 14, 2007
GB
Windows XP Home with SP1: IE V.7 returns "The page cannot be displayed". The cable company has supplied a new cable modem and ethernet lead and declares their part of the connection is working. IPConfig returns the IP address of 169.254.85.206 and a Ping of that address shows 4 packets sent and 4 packets received. Control Panel/Network Connections says the system is enabled and is connected. I have uninstalled and re-installed the ethernet adapter through device manager. I have deleted all antivirus and firewall software to ensure they are not blocking the port. I have tried both "Automatic detection of IP address" and "Manual selection of IP Address" without avail. I have connected the computer in question to my own rig (same cable supply company) and still no joy. I have run the acclaimed WinSockXPFix.exe program, which performed as it should, but did not solve the problem. I have changed the Internet Options/security settings to the default level and I can think of no further ideas to try - can anyone help me please?

When using a cable modem you normally have to install some software to make it work. You don't mention this?

An IP address of 169.254.85.206 is a private IP address. What happens if you open up a command window & type IPCONFIG/ALL and IPCONFIG/RENEW

It is normal to have to connect (using the software supplied) to the modem in order to enter the ISP provided logon and other details, before the modem will give you a working internet connection you don't mention that either.

Why did you ask your ISP for a replacement modem? Did it stop working or has it never worked?

What happens if you move the modem to your own rig?

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Thank you stduc for your prompt reply. My neighbour's computer has apparently been having internet connection problems for several months. I tried to re-install the NTL cable company's software and learned that the Ethernet adapter is faulty. I connected the system box from a spare computer to the rig and installed the software on that. It worked and I was able to access the Internet. I downloaded PCTools Spyware Doctor and did a scan, which found and removed 5 infections. I rebooted the computer, and now cannot get back on the internet - the IE box displays, but the default address does not appear in the address line, and typing it in then hitting Enter has no effect. Can you suggest what the problem might be now? I am grateful to you for your patience.

It also sounds like since you are trying to run IE 7 for the first time it is trying to load the runonce.com screen which on some computers can take quite awhile to load. I would recommend hitting Stop the first time you try to open IE 7 and then adding a home page. Then closing and reopening to see if you still get blank address bar.

Jake Chaffee
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary and those who can't."

Many thanks to stduc, electronicsfreak and Jake Chaffee for these valuable contributions. I eventually found that the free-standing NIC I had installed was itself faulty, so both the onboard ethernet adapter and the supposed work-around were non-functional. I fitted a new NIC and can now access the Internet except for one snag - when I downloaded and tried to install PCTools Spyware Doctor in safe mode, the computer froze during initialisation of the components and I had to uninstall it. The motto is clear: Don't blythely assume that the items in your bit box are necessarily serviceable!

I'm glad you got it sorted.
Bad NIC's are rare.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Also you can't usually install apps in safe mode....

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back