Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yippee! Upgrade. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2006
US
The bean counters finally wrote the check and now it looks like I'm getting the happy upgrade from Succession 3 to 4.5 and from Mermail 13 to Call Pilot.
May I now expect years of trouble-free and joyous service from my switch or should I maybe study up on a few things? The good news is the Vendor will be doing the install but I'd like to be prepared as possible for whatever changes may come. (M1 61C - a little over 300 phones but maybe only 250 voicemail boxes. Haven't checked lately and I know I've added many in the last month.)

Other than reading this forum and leeching off you guys, any other tips or hints to keep me valuable to my employers? ;o)

I trust and like my vendor and have been very happy with their service and have no doubt that they will do a bang up job - I just mostly want to know what to look out for so I don't seem quite as stupid while their techs are on site.

As always, Thanks for even reading this!

find a good spot to put the mgate card.. the mermail takes a loop card that fits in the network shelf.. the cp goes in an ipe just like a fat digital card.. still single wide. you want to put it in an ipe that in the least crowded.. not that bandwidth is that big of a problem, but it makes sense not to put it in a shelf with 175 acd sets.

if you bought the migration tape, then clean up your voice mail, delete boxes you don't need, do a search for disabled or boxes that have not been used in 90 days.. just helps to at least start with a cleaner system.. if your using menus, document them.. just go to each screen and do a screen print.. the recordings will move on migration, the apps will need to be rebuilt.. have app builder on your pc, your provider will handle that..

i do a couple of extra backups, go to 117 and do an inv generate midnight, then the next day (and any day past midnight) inv prt sets or inv prt cards.. on the set side just look for sets that are missing or don't match the as built.. it's always best to keep one clean, now you've got a reason other then maint.. have your vendor show you how to schedule the download of all your 3000 series firmware, they do not auto-upgrade, your firmware will change, it's on 87 now(?)..

truth is you don't have to do anything, but those are the steps i would suggest to any customer that i was scheduled to upgrade IF i trusted them... customers with on site techs are your best or your worst customers.. if the inhouse TRIES, then i spend extra time, even off the clock if i need to... congrats on the Chritmas present

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Heck yeah! That's what I'm talking about. That screen print for the menus thing will make me look like a genius all by itself! ('course, that's not asking much around here) ;o)

Great stuff! Thanks again!

After the upgrade, insist that your vendor install the latest DepList/PEPs for both the CS 1000 and CallPilot.

When the install the Fiji Cards make sure they do not crimp the fiber connections anywhere in the cabinets. Nothing like having them bounce up and down because there is a pinch somewhere in the line, I agree with both John Poole and gwebster on their posts as well. Clean it up and make sure the once the install is good, get those peps!!!!!!!! It will save you a lot of hours of troubleshooting. Enjoy the upgrade.

Check for Mermail boxes with the same name. Callpilot will have trouble migrating the VMB unless the name is unique.
You may find some oddball boxes and hacks, like I did.

We have been looking at an upgrade for our Opt11C. We can purchase SRS for 3 years for a very reasonable amount and Nortel is allowing us to spread the payments over the 3 years which would make it an operating expense. Just something you might try looking into or asking your vendor about.

Question on the Fiji cards. I am on Succession 3.0 with no fiber. Does the upgrade to 4.5 automatically give you the fiber backplane? I am planning an upgrade the same as LeeMcCauslin and I don't want to be stopped dead at 4.5 because I will then need a huge cost upgrade to get to 5.0.

To follow up, the CS 5.0 Large PBX 1000M does not support the CP3, CP4 or IGS Network fabric. The supported hardware will be a CPII/CPIV processor with a FIGI/Fiber Network Fabric to run CS 5.0. On the Small System a new processor has been introduced the CPM, which replaces the VGMC cards as well. The ISP SigServer is being replaced as well in 5.0 on a 2nd CPM or COTS server (commercial off the shelf).

NARSBARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back