Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yikes! a lot horizintally and vertically!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheu

MIS
Sep 29, 2006
US
Hello,
I have a report requirement whose columns span multiple page AND has multiple rows... Am having difficulty building it.

Assuming I needed multiple detail sections but for each section need a header.

Imagine an Excel report with 30 rows consuming columns A-Z where A-M (with header/title row) fits on page one and N-Z (with header/tille) fits on page two.

Please fix my brain to this in Crystal.

Well Excel doesn't have pages unless printing, so try to explain it using cell references if your intent is to relate it to Excel.

If you'd like a really wide report to export to Excel, install the standard Windows printer HP Designjet 3500 CPS and set it to 36x108 landscape, that gives you plenty of room for viewing and exporting.

-k

hey vamp! You get around! :)

Actually I brought Excel into the discussion because of it's flexibility.

What I'm really after is a Crystal Report for paper size A4 in Landscape with a really W-I-D-E detail row in which a single record consumes perhaps 3 pages.

Easy enough if I had only 1 record but I need to have 30+ rows of details and only 1 row of header.

In Excel it's easy to do but can that be done in crystal?

I expect the answer to be NO and will probably end up splitting the report into 3 seperate reports.

Perhaps you can group by a field or formula to allow for a natural header row.

Try posting technical info, such as example data and the expected output.

So in the example of A-M and N-Z, you might use a formula to group on of:

if left({table,field},1) in "A" to "M" then
else

Which would produce 2 different header rows, not sure how you expect one header row from 2 different sets of values.

-k

Grouping by a field would be hard to do in this report as each of the 30+ records is an individual day.

In fact the source table has only one indexed field and that field IS the individual day.

Vamp,
Had a look at DETAILS and how one can be supressed is a condition is met.

So I'm wondering if a report where the DETAILS (and their supporting page header/footer etc) can be event driven when in print preview and also the actual print.

Please recall in my scenario there will be only 1 page consumed vertically since 30 rows SHOULD fit accordingly.

Therefore, pages refer horizintally since it's literally impossible to build a 97 column (yes 97) report on one page.

That in mind, I would imagine that when viewing page one and the user wanted to see page two, behind the sceens Crystal would 'react' to the request and simply hide detail section 1 and unhide detail section 2.

Printing I supppose might go along the same route where, after Crystal printed (rendered actually I think) page 1, it supresses Detail Group 1 and unhides Detail Group 2 for rendering.

This hide/unhide continues throughout until the report is complete rendered.

Is this achievable?

he user were looking at page one then wanted to move to page two, behind the scenes, C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back