Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yet another 'Internet Explorer could not open the search page' issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sark3

Technical User
Dec 7, 2003
US
I am having this problem as well, though unlike the others who have posted regarding this error, my machine is not networked with another. I'm a bit of a novice at this stuff so thought I might get some help here. When I boot up my pc, I am online, as it should be. However after a period of several minutes, somehow it seems the connection is no longer detected; I can't successfully surf to any site, and I receive the 'Internet Explorer could not open the search page' error message.

The strange thing is, I use instant messaging services, and the connection remains active for those for a longer period of time than does the 'regular' Internet (please excuse my poor technical jargon), though I eventually lose that as well. In other words, my pc seems to be receiving data (modem blinking), but the signal is no longer detected after some time, and I can no longer navigate from site to site. Nonetheless I remain online (for a while, at least) with my IM services. I've also encountered this while listening to an online broadcast. The feed continued without issue, but I could no longer navigate the web.

Eventually the broadcast feed/IM connection is lost/not detected as well however, and I have to reboot.

If it means anything, I've tried both IE 5 & 6, and Netscape.

A technician was here and determined that I am receiving data and the problem seems to be with my PC, though I had similar Internet service at a previous residence and experienced no problems. He suggested I reinstall Windows, which would not be a problem if I could find the disk. I am running Windows 98 Second Edition.

The machine is receiving data, but after some time, as mentioned, I cannot navigate the Internet. There is nothing, even though when I first boot up I have no problems. I've gone into Network -> Properties and gone through the steps in the manual provided by my ISP, but no luck.... still the same problem.

This is very frustrating and I keep having to reboot my pc to get back online, and sometimes that doesn't even work. Is there something I've set up incorrectly under Internet Options, or some other IP- or DNS-related issue that might need to be corrected? If anyone can help me out here, or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your assistance, however I tried the WinsockFix program and still no luck. I removed the appropriate keys in regedit, but I'm still losing connection/detection. I also searched for a timeout/disconnect setting, but can't find anything like this. Plus I don't think this would be the issue anyway, as this has sometimes happened within seconds of accessing a site/web page without issue. I'll access a site, and seconds later I access another page of the same site, for example, and receive either the
'Internet Explorer could not open the search page' error message or 'Page cannot be displayed'. I'll try other sites immediately when this occurs, with the same result.

Is there something in particular I need to do with the program that I am missing? I clicked Fix and let it do it's thing, then later ran through the steps listed under Info, but no luck. Any further suggestions/assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

sark3,

" Thanks for your assistance, however I tried the WinsockFix program and still no luck. I removed the appropriate keys in regedit, but I'm still losing connection/detection."

You should not make any registry edits after running the WinsockFix. Let the program handle removing the Winsock keys and rebuilding them. If you remove them and take no other steps to rebuild them there would be a problem for sure.

If this is how your proceeded, run the utility again.

Yeah try removing both the modem and the TCPIP stack under networking in the control panel , also under options in your browser make sure you only have TCPIP working and not ipx or netbui . Had an issue like this once and removing and recreating the tcpip stack fixed it .

bcastner,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but actually, this is not exactly how I proceeded. I wasn't exactly clean on that I suppose.

Initially I ran WinSockFix and rebooted, but ran into the same problem as always and was soon unable to navigate the web. After this I clicked the Info button on WinSockFix and ran through the steps listed there manually. I imagine this may be something I should not have done, but I have not had any other issues come up with the pc, just the ongoing Internet problem.

I will look into trying the suggestions of others who have responded and see what happens, as I haven't had much of a chance lately. If you come up with any other ideas let me know. Your help is appreciated.

I wasn't exactly *clear*, that is.

Do the LSP fix suggested by my FAQ: faq608-4650

(Not everything is a Winsock error)

Search for the chipset manufacturer of your ethernet adapter (not the OEM) and use their drivers to update your lan adapter.

The P2P folks often discover the problems first. See if any advice for your particular adapter can be found in these links:

Thank you, thank you, thank you..... I finally have my Internet issues resolved, I am very happy to say.

Some of this, I suppose (such as antivirus software), should have been common sense, even to a relative novice such as myself. I *did* have Norton AntiVirus already installed, but I did not have a recent version and the virus definitions had not been updated. So, I went to Symantec's site and purchased a download of Norton AntiVirus 2004. I figured it couldn't hurt. When I ran it several files were quarantined, and immediately things seemed better. In addtion, I ran several of the other scans listed in smah's FAQ as well. I then downloaded and ran CWShredder, SpyBot and AdAware, and a number of other questionable items were quarantined and removed.

I did not run through the optional steps listed however as things seem to be running smoothly now. I also did not look into the manufacturer of my ethernet adapter. If I should encounter further problems, I will try these suggestions.

For now, my only real issue is that while Norton AntiVirus works great, it is really bogging down my machine to a point that it's every bit as frustrating as my Internet problems. I will look into what I can do about this. I'm sure this isn't a topic for this particular forum.

Thanks again for your assistance..... much appreciated.

FOR WINDOWS 98 FE & SE, AND WINDOWS ME

---======Computer will not Surf======---

Error Message:
|__________________________________|

1. Click Start-Goto Settings-Click Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel Double click Network.

3. Click-Highlight-and Remove all Bindings of TCP/IP in Network/Configuration Tab.

4. Click OK. (A Message will Appear) "Your Network is incomplete do you wish to Continue"...Choose YES. REBOOT when asked.

AFTER RESTART FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1. Goto Start Menu then Click RUN

2. Type regedit click OK.

3. Double Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

4. Double click SYSTEM

5. Double click CurrentControlSet

6. Double click Services

7. Delete the Winsock and Winsock2 Folders.

8. Double Click VXD

9. DELETE AFVXD, DELETE MSTCP, DELETE DHCP, DELETE DHCP OPTIONS, DELETE WINSOCK AND WINSOCK2 (if listed).

10. Close the registry editor.

12. Goto Control Panel and Click ADD\REMOVE Programs.

13. Click the Windows Setup Tab.

14. Double Click Communications then uncheck the box next to Dial-Up Networking. Click OK.....THEN CLICK APPLY on the next screen.

15. Reboot.

16. Repeat steps 12-15 this time RECHECK the box next to Dial-Up Networking....Reboot and Your good to go..

PEACE

sark3,

In the configuration of Norton Antivirus, tell it not to scan .js* files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back