Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

yes/no button

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk2

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
I have yes/no buttons on my form and they are tinted gray (not chekced) and they appear to be disabled. I can not check them. the form is based on a query and the property setting allow for edits and deletions. Any ideas?
thanks

mrk2-
Be sure that the Enabled property is set to yes and the locked property is set to no.

both those properties are set correctly. Any other ideas?

Access will gray them all out if you don't have a default value set (aggravating, yes) even if it appears unlocked, enabled, and ready to go. Could that be it?

CJ

Is the recordset in the query updatable?????? If the records are locked at the query level, then by the time they get to the form, they are already locked and you can't touch them....

To check this, open the query up (not the form) and try to make some change. You probably can't, and alittle message in the bottom left portion of the Access window will tell you this recordset is not updatable....

This typically stems from a bad relation or ambigious situation.....

First let's establish the problem, then find the source. Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve! This makes the post more visible to others in need! [thumbsup2]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

"To check this, open the query up (not the form) and try to make some change. You probably can't, and alittle message in the bottom left portion of the Access window will tell you this recordset is not updatable....

This typically stems from a bad relation or ambigious situation....."
This seems to be it....they are operable in the query either. The querys are calling from 4 tables. 3 of the tables are linked by a "COurse ID" the 4th table is linked to the other 3 using a Customer ID. What can I do to narrow down the problem?
thanks

they are NOT operable in the query - sorry

Welcome to the abiguity of the relational setup.....I am by no means an expert in this area of Access....

What I usually do to try to solve the problem is take a look at the realtionships window. Is everything setup correctly there. That being correct, I go back to the query. If the relationships are set in the realtionship window, the relationships you see in the query are "inherited", and can be modified but won't affect the "main" relationships. So begin by removing one. See if you can modify. Put it back and remove another. Go thorugh all the steps....next remvoing two at a time, etc.

Somewhere, one (or more) of those defined relationships just don't work....Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer on this....I might suggest reposting this new problem in the Tables/Relationships or even the Other Forum for someone else to help you out more than I can....Just be sure to include all the steps you have already gone through in order to for the person assisting you to better help and not duplicate previous work.... Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve!
This makes the post more visible to others in need! [thumbsup2]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back