Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yellow popup box Symantec Antivirus Auto Protect is Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatdoIneed

Technical User
Jan 28, 2006
NL
I have Symantec Antivirus 9.0.1.100 installed on my system.
Since recently I do get this pop-up box in the lower right hand corner saying: "Symantec Antivirus Auto Protect is Disabled". It pops up and disappears after 5 seconds or so. When I check, the auto protect is still running. I have seen report of this at other places on the web, but have not found te cause and a solution.

I have seen this exact event you described with a Trojan infection.
Download the latest definitions from Symantec and you should find the problem on a full scan.

Alternatively try AVG software from

It is definitely not a virus or anything like that.
I am up-to-date and have scanned my system several times. If you do a Google search on "Symantec Antivirus Auto Protect is Disabled" and the word "yellow" you will find a couple of threads mentioning the problem:
The guy over there mantions that it started happening after doing a system restore. That is exactly when it started happening to me.
Like him, I removed SAV completely and reinstalled: the problem is now gone.

You will not be the first or last to reactivate a virus with a System Restore

Well, believe me. It was not a virus...I checked my sytem very thoroughly at the time when it was happening and I alos cheked my registry and directories for traces and files of all viruses that come close to showing this behaviour. I would almost start paying for the solution in this thread but the case is closed for me....thx.

Did you get a satisfactory answer to:
"Yellow popup box Symantec Antivirus Auto Protect is Disabled"

I have a similar problem but with only one user of 8 on one computer. FastUser Switch is enabled.

I too have scanned repeatedly for virus with no infection found. This is more of an irritant than anything, the yellow popup occurs once on startup of one user and never appears again until user logs on again.

I too have googled to no avail on a solution.

Its starting to piss me off; yellow popup in the bottom right corner for 10-seconds, doesn't go away on click, doesn't give me any information, no help at all.

No, I never did get a satisfactory answer on it. In one of my posts above I pointed out a link to experts-exchange that may give the answer but you will have to pay for it. I just removed the antivirus progeam and installed it again. After that the problem was gone.

Hi, I've had exactly the same problems for 6 months (and I know at least one of my colleges that hav the same with this version of NAV). I have scanned with all type of tools for viruses, trojans or spyware, but negative. Yeasterday I reinstalled NAV, but today the Yellow tab came back! Besides that everything seems quite normal! I have found no good answeres either!

Errr...just checked it. They deleted the whole question over there. Forget it.

Definitely not a virus infection; unless you count Symantec Anti-virus software as a virus infection.

I tried the remove and re-install path to some success; re-installed about 10 days ago and no @#$% pop-up box until today. I am beginning to really hate Symantec and their Anti-Virus software.

I am now plagued with the stupid yellow pop-box stating:
"Symantec Antivirus Auto Protect is Disabled"

Cannot get rid of it, cannot query it, no left/right mouse click gives information, I am really starting to hate Symantec with a passion.

I'd almost be willing to pay good money for the answer, almost.

If your using the corp edition 10.0.2000 there is a patch out on their site that's addresses something with the auto protect not running.

The latest version is 10.0.2001.

I just finished upgrading all mine and belive me it's not pleasant....Why it can never be easy to upgrade this program I'll never know.

That Remove NAV script I found has done wonders though. Fixes it every time.

Yesterday the annoying yellow box popped up again after staying away for 6 weeks (I solved the issue by reinstalling NAV, 9.01.1000 corporate edition).
This time I have some info to add that may help finding the cause.
I installed new software (BIAS Soundsoap), but after I tried it I wanted to remove it again. There were no good removal instructions, so I decided to do a system restore to a restore point from the day before. I installed another version of that software, but then suddenly the yellow box appeared. I was shocked and tried to restore to the same restore point again, but Windows reported that it could not restore to that point. I still can restore to other points though.
Anyone trying to convince me that it is a virus, trojan, spyware or whatever: forget it. My system is clean, I've got Spyware doctor and Adaware running and keeping definitions up to date. Of course also NAV, which is also up to date. I have run SSI and have no suspected activities going on...
Maybe people having the same problem recognize the pattern that I described.

Check your Application Event log for errors on Symantec Antivirus. Chances are it will say that it could not start the Symantec Antivirus service due to invalid defintion files. We have been seeing a lot of this in my company and it is usually related to corrupt virus definition file(s). An alternative to uninstalling/reinstalling the client is to manually repair the virus defintions. This link describes the steps:

We have since scripted a solution based on this knowledgebase entry to repair our company workstations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back