Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yeast Rings 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
I was in the grocery store over the weekend and I came across a product labeled "Yeast Rings". Most people, I suspect, know this product by another name. Any guesses to the more common name?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

CC, funny story. But only because I wasn't the photographer. :)

pc.gif

Jomama

@flapeyre
where I live, in France, a beignet is anything made of batter essentially. so a doughnut, fritter, battered prawns (the chinese dish) etc are all classed as beignet. a yorkshire pudding, as with toad in the hole etc, likewise all 'beignet'.

having said that, fish and chips would (probably) not be called beignet au poisson. But i can't be certain as i've never seen nor heard of it being served in the South West. It's more likely to be called poisson en pate/croute, even though the batter is not a pastry crust.

With respect to this thread, and at least in this part of the USA, beignets would not be considered rings. Not all donuts are rings.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

This has to be similar to what you found in the store, CC. Very light and fluffy until coated with glaze. And very different from a cake donut.

Have we opened discussion up to crullers? Seems to be similar, although I remember some as being rolled pastry and coated with crystal sugar.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Reminds me of Java's "Insert, Update and Delete" objects.

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

@Ed Fair,

<off topic>
I don't know if Mark S. told you that he and I work on the same project at the office now. (With 1,500 people in this building, we're pretty lucky to be working together.)
</off topic>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Found out about it earlier this week talking to the Midvale kid. Know you enjoy it, he is a cool dude.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Just to add to the topic of donuts
Tim_Hortons_Timbits.jpg

these are made of the leftovers (or holes) of the donuts, rather than working them back into batter and making more "real donuts" out of them they sell them like this.
And they are just as tasty, way cheaper of course and you can eat 4 different types if you can't decide and don't have to feel as guilty as you would if you would eat 4 donuts for variety sakes :)

Joe W.

TeleTechs.ca
FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

“This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

And they are just as tasty, way cheaper of course

And sold under the guise of "Yum Yums" in Tesco and Greggs [bigsmile] et al.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

The name: ‘donut holes’ always confused me. How can you sell a hole? [ponder] The hole is the absence of anything that used to be around it. The best representation of a hole, in my opinion, was in one of The Beatles’ animated music movie.

Have fun.

---- Andy

The first job I ever had was working at a Winchells Donut Shop MANY years ago. Started out a counter person and ended up a baker, so I can bring a little expertise to this dicussion. I can confirm that donut holes, at least in our shop, were the part taken out of the center of a raised/glazed donut. When you're cutting them out, you roll out the dough and then use a cutter that is two concentric circles. This makes the donut, and the "hole", in one cut.

The cake type donuts start with a batter that is dropped into the hot oil, so there is no part of the process that leaves you with a small round artifact that can be turned into a "hole".

So this means that only the yeast raised dough donuts can produce real donut holes. If you are looking at a cake based donut hole, it is manufactured from the start as a ball and cannot rightfully be called a donut "hole". The little cake balls are outright frauds if they go by the name "donut hole".

So that picture above, from my expert eye, is actually a mixture of donut holes and cake balls. Many people don't mind putting balls in their mouth, but I for one prefer a "hole"!

Westi said:
Just to add to the topic of donuts

Yes, I believe I will.
wake_up_script_new.274124836_std.jpg

Publication1.2995806_std.png

OOF-da. I can feel my arteries harden just looking at this.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back