Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yamaha CDRW acting crazy ?? help ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TboneJr

Technical User
May 30, 2003
US
Hi :)

I have a Yamaha 16x10x40 cdrw internal drive. Ive had it for about 2 years. It has always worked fine but it has started to act wierd. 1st when i put any cd in the drive it winds up and sounds like its going to blow while reading, 2nd when I put a blank cdr in, most of the time it will show it as a unrecordable cd ??? I can blow into the drive and it will work ok for a few min, but then goes back to winding fast or not reading at all. And sometimes when i open the door and close it again without any cd at all the drive acts like it is trying to read the a cd anyway and will wind very fast for a min then finally stop ??? does this sound like i have a dust collection or a drive going bad ?? Ive cleaned with a cd cleaner and it seams to do better for a while but goes back to messing up ? ( when it does work it seams to be in hyper drive all the time) And every once in a while it will work like it should :) Im running windows 98 se / 256 meg ram / 400 mghz amd K6 / 20 GB hd / I also have a 8X DVD drive. both cd drives are eide drives on seperate iede cables.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Tbone

You could try to compressed air if you can see the laser. Otherwise, you may have to take the cover off to clean it.

I also have a Yamaha burner, only had it for 2 years and it doesnt worked anymore, it already has a laser malfunction, it doesnt read any cds and it doesnt burn them properly, even when its burn successfully. Has much has I love the Yamaha burner alot more since it has the 8MB buffer, neat led light, my $44 LG burner works alot better compare to my $300 yamaha burner, weird! But in my case it might have been cause I reuse the same firmware version 3 times.

Thanks Kiddpete - I tried cleaning i actually took the burner apart and cleaned but it was spotless. i also cleaned the laser with alcohol, but nothing helped. Thanks for the help. :)

Zomby I think mine has gone to the dogs also :( Im looking at some LG burners now thanks for the note. :)

Tbone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back