Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yahama DX XG Sound Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

123flood

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
I have an issue with my sound in that I now don't have any. I recently moved and so I suspect that maybe the hardware has become loose but this is the story so far.

No sound, period. Errors when running sound include these: could not find any audio hardware(from Winmedia); fatal exception in ydxxg occured (when changing Yamaha Audio Codec Properties); MMSystem32.dll (I think?). I have no sound icon on my taskbar and Multimedia Audio and Video devices have none listed or available.

I have reinstalled the drivers from the internet (they are the same as the ones I had) and requested online updates for them. The drivers do get reinstalled by the hardware when I reboot so the hardware is being picked and no !marks appearing in the Device Manager or conflicts noticed.

Is there anything else I can check?

(the card is a Yamaha DXXG, using the dxxg32 driver. The system is Win 98)

Start computer in Safe Mode
Go to My Computer properties
Click the Device Manager tab
Remove all listings found under the Sound,Video and Game controller section.
Shut down the computer
Physically remove the Sound card
Re- Start the computer
Shut down the computer and insert the sound card.
Have you sound card driver ready because unless there is a physical problem with the connection of the card to the slot, Windows will prompt for the driver.

Ok - well I have done two things. I have installed new drivers that should be compatible with the DirectX 8 drivers although still don't seem to be (the DXXGWDM driver).

I have removed the devices linked to the card and reslotted the card and tested with both drivers (that are loaded automatically on boot up and don't need to be manually installed again).

I have booted up without the soundcard inserted and, although there is a stated device named System Speaker I can't think how to activate this to check if there is on-board sound.

If you can think of anything else I could try with software that would be great, before I go out and try another sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back