Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XY Scatter plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlerob

Programmer
Jul 27, 2004
GB
I am using a 30-day eval of Crystal XI and I'm trying to do an XY scatter plot. I've tried everything to get it to work correctly and I can't seem to.

Whenever I add a field it always adds as "Count of whatever" which is not what I want at all.

Has anyone ever done this successfully? or is it just me (or my data)?

Rob

Ido

I know, I wasn't giving much away was I ;-) I struggled so much with this that I rather expected replies advising me not to bother.

However, I'm getting there (slowly) my problems were compounded by the fact that I was trying to use XML as the datasource for the chart, and my format is obviously wrong, so I've gone back to CSV (for now)

I'm trying to recreate the sort of Fetal growth chart shown at
Ideally I'd like to create a report with the chart already showing the median and 5th/95th centile lines and then have a datasource in XML that was just the individual measurement points.

For now when I create the chart I'm doing it as a Line chart and using data in the form:

Weeks,5th,median,95th, BPD

So I've got everything in the datafile. It sort of works except that I still have to pick an "On change of" value which doesn't really make sense as all the data relates to a single chart, and when I add the 5th, Median etc they add as "Sum of..."

The shape of the charts is OK, but I have to manually rename the axis. Also, I'd still like to get the data back into XML format.

I guess my problem is that it seems very hard work compared to Excel where this would have been dead easy.

Do I make any sense?

Rob

Rob,

Line chart <> XY/scatter Chart.
What is the desired display format? In what way is it different from what you are getting? What chart options did you use?
If each "on change of" has only one observation per series, SUM would not change the result. There's also an option to not summarize.

Getting the data back into XML has nothing to do with chart. It helps if you keep each question to a single issue.

- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Ido

I appreciate that Line <> Scatter. However, for the purposes of my chart it should amount to the same. My horizontal axis is both a genuine time (gestational age in weeks) and a set of categories (since I have a value for each possible gestational age from 14-39)

It also seems odd that I'm force dto use the Sum, and then ralter the legend accordingly. I agree the plot is correct, but why doesn't it just offer to plot one value against the other (like Excel would)

However, using a line chart did seem get nearer to the end result that I wanted, I suppose I'm just bemoaning that Crystal (in time honoured fashion) really made me work at getting the result I wanted.

As for XML, perhaps it should be another question.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back