Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XXXXXX's showing up in emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGliddon

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2001
I am using GW 5.5 SP4 on a Novell 5.1 and Novell 5.0 network. I am at 5.5.4 on GW. Intermittantly emails seemed to be corrupted. Half of the message might show but then the rest is filled with XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX's.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Thank you.

Could it be something on your gateway settings?

Who is receiving the garbled message, just one user or all?
Maybe they have more than one e-mail program, wrong default setting, or mime reader installed on their station?

This has happened to many users, including myself. Can you suggest what gateway setting I might check or what to check to see if a mime reader is installed?

Thank you for the email.

I have seen this as well, and I generally have found the issues to be communications in nature, that is to say, one of the post offices is going up and down. Could be a server crashing, line connection, bad drivers on the server.

You can bring up IPCon or IPXcon as well as monitor and look for bad packets being transferred. Generally, when I have fixed the communications problems, I have fixed the corrupted message problem.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I will start investigating that area.

I checked with Novell. They said this is a common problem with the PIX firewall. It is a sign that the firmware is out of revision and needs to be updated. We are currently getting rid of the PIX and going with Novell BorderManager so I will find out if that fixes the problem once we remove PIX from the network.

We replaced the PIX with Novell BorderMgr and use its firewall service. No more XXXXXX's. Thanks to everyone for your help.

thumbsup

Place the GWIA outside the firewall or upgrade the pix firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back