Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xwindows and Kvm problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

B0ydie

Technical User
Jul 10, 2004
GB
Anyone know how to stop the anoying problem i have with my kvm and my linux box. When i switch boxes it goes all nuts and starts to drag icons and cicking randomly.

Spoke to techies at belkin and they say to leave it for a few seconds when switching boxes as it has to switch between the dirvers and this does cause this problem. Hey when i wait i still get the problem.

Have the latest firmware on kvm and using xp on one box and suse linux 9.1 on other box.

Please help me as everytime i want to use my linux box i have to reboot it and this is terribly frustrating.

I have the same problem; whenever I hit the hotkey to switch boxes, my linux box goes nuts!

I had to learn not to swap boxes while I had a command prompt open so that it wouldn't iterate through and execute some random command while I was on the other box.

I'm curious if there's a solution....

The tell-tale sign of a properly running network is a bored network administrator!

-Shrubble

I've had these kinds of problems as well, but not only with linux, windows as well. Whenever it happens, I usually just use my hot-keys to get back the original machine that i was working on at the time, mouse the mouse around a little, hit a few keys, then try again. That usually "resets" it i guess, and gets me back on the machine.

BTW I'm using a Zonet KVM3004 KVM switch, I have a logitech Cordless MX Duo with Control Center Driver version 9.79.025 and Mouse Driver version 9.79.

Basically, all you can do is switch back and forth, and try to get your mouse to calm down again. I've had lots of problems switching between my windows xp box and 2000 server, where all of my programmed buttons wouldn't work on my mouse. So, I'd have to switch back to the machine that it was originally working on, hit those buttons a few times, then switch back.

If all else fails, re-boot the damn thing, or try going to a console screen by hitting alt-F1. I don't remember if that worked for me or not, but what the heck!

Yeah- that's kind of like the "solution" I arrived at as well- it just makes me a little peeved that I paid $30 for this KVM switch, and this is what I'm, dealin with!

"I would rather have a free bottle in front of me, than a pre-frontal lobotomy..."

-Shrubble

This is actually a really common problem. I've heard several solutions; some seem like "real" solutions, while others are just cheap workarounds. Try whichever you prefer:

1. Use a USB mouse. Some people say they have better luck with USB. Not helpful if your KVM doesn't support it though.

2. Hit alt+F1, then alt+F7 to switch to a console and then back to X. This may reset things.

3. Open /etc/X11/XF86Config, scroll to:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Change "PS/2" to "IMPS/2". If it's already "IMPS/2", try going the other way. This seems to work for a lot of people, though I'm not entirely positive why since it seems some people are fixing it going to IMPS/2 and some are fixing it by going to PS/2.

-Steve

I'll give that a shot for sur and let you know what happens.

Thanks!

"I would rather have a free bottle in front of me, than a pre-frontal lobotomy..."

-Shrubble

Guys thanks for all you suggestions wil have a play with box when i get home tonight, will let you all know how it goes.

Your right though you do get it with a lot of kvm's as i work for a company ho deals purely in the sme market and some of our larger clients have more than one server, mostly all windows boxes as thats all most people develop applications for. They all use different belkin omniview kvm's and some of them expereince this problem.

Found that if you lock and unlock the console it usually fixes the problem, but not a very good linux user and i am getting better with it though, hence needed a little help with this one.

Well this monkey is off to work now cheers all. :)

I solved this problem on my server farm by NOT using a wheel mouse. I miss the scroll, but...

The main problem I see is 'Belkin'.

Belkin = BAD^10

I've never has a problem free experience with Belkin hardware.
Most cables worked (had a serial cable issue, ps2 for a KVM switch and a ton of Ethernet issues)

The KVM that Belkin has are the worst. I never, never, never had any work correctly. Seriously, when we ordered a bunch (different models too) and resold them to customers, all the mice stopped working (back in the NT4 days).

Later we forgave them and ordered a bunch more of the 8 input type with OSD. Same thing, returned them, they worked, stopped working, warranty was out and they refused to replace them.

Even for the smaller business who bought the retail boxed KVM switch failed to work correctly.

IOgear has been my favorite choice but will use anything that does not have the Belkin name on it.

The only piece of hardware from Belkin that has worked for me is the Mac video converter.

AAAAHHHHHHH!

My KVM, which is not a Belkin (but might as well be) is now TOTALLY freaking out.

I paid thirty bucks for the thing like 2 months ago. The way it's acting, you'd think the thing took a trip on the Event Horizon or something (bad movie reference)!

I have to keep the unit with the ports on it nearby, because half the time the only way to get the thing to calm down is unplug and replug the keyboard or mouse from it.

One of these days I'm going to hit the hot key to toggle over to my Linux box, and I'm gonna here:

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that..."
Just venting!

-Shrubble

I have had no end of problems with Belikn KVM boxes, Windows and Linux. I have solved it by using the Belkin for the Keyboard, and a seperate mouse per pc. Not Ideal, but this is the only way I could get it to work :-(

---

"I'm just here to regulate funkyness"

I have just got my 2-Port KVM Switch with Built-In Cabling, PS/2 today. It gave my problem on my Linux machine (United Linux). However, on the other machine (XP Pro), it is doing fine. Luckily, I read this forum and found the solution to my problem. Thanks stevethatguy for your info. I am editing the X86Config and remove
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
and add this instead
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
restart the machine.. and woolah.. it solve my problem..

By the way, I am using 2 button mouse (Dell mouse and keyboard from 400 SC)

Thanks again!

Hi All,

I had a problem with my mouse not working at all. The bios had the option to disable PS/2 mouse support. I did that and the rebooted into redhat. Now keyboard and mouse both dont work. I reboot and switch PS/2 mouse support back on. Then when redhat started up it ran the hardware config wizard and found the mouse yay! Works great now. I'm using a D-link KVM.

Kurt

It's only easy when you know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back