Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xtreme slow response from a Pentium 4 pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianjan

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
ZA
The operating system is win 2000. The hard drive is partitioned into two drives. 1. c partition size 16.8GB of which 5.8GB is used. 2. d partition which is the swap partition and is 2GB in size. The mem is 256MB. Other computers with the same specs is running fine. On the D drive only 5MB is free the other is full. Sometimes the CPU stands at 100% utilization for a time. I used explorer and discoverd only 4 files in D namely:
ffastun size 4kb
ffastun size 8kb
ffastun.ffo size 4kb
ffastunO size 4kb.

I have chosen the view all types and hidden files. that is how I discovered the 4 files in D. Nothing more in D. What can be the problem and how do I fix it.

Thank you

IanJan

Those 4 files are created by the program findfast.exe which is loaded as part of office it use to cause alot of slowdown problems in 95 and 98 check your startup folder for findfast and delete it

Using a whole partition as your swap file stops the swap file increasing, if the partition was 5GB then it would allow for the swap file to grow when needed above 2GB. Most swap files are 350MB to 800MB, but it depends on how much you multitask. Also keeping the swap file on a seperate partition doesnt increase any speed/performance to the PC unless the partition is on another physical hard drive.

if you get more memory then it will use the swap file less. Otherwise you will always have some slowness on older PC's due to the time spent on reading/writing to the virtual memory.

I have at work a PII 400MHz PC which run like a dog until I got 512MB of memory. Newer PC's tend to not slow down due to the processing power even using 256MB memory.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back