Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xserver annoyance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonifale

Programmer
Sep 4, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm running an Xserver, MI/X 4.2 for Windows from on my XP machine to run Xterms on my Sparc20 (Sol9). I've created a batch file to remotely launch the application containing various combinations of ...

rsh 10.0.0.23 -lusername "/usr/openwin/bin/xterm -display 10.0.0.10 &"
exit

The xterms launch okay but the DOS window remains active, presumably the rsh has not terminated. It can be closed manualy okay and terminates itself when I close the xterm.

Does anyone know how I can make it close itself once the xterm starts or is there another way to call the remote xterm.

Gene,

Thanks for the suggestion but sadly not a solution. The command tool executes and terminates immediately without launching the Xterm

This works for me:

[tt]D:\>rsh hostname -l username "/usr/openwin/bin/xterm -display displayhost:1 > /tmp/xterm.out 2>&1 &" [/tt]

Although I would personally choose to use ssh for this sort of thing.

Annihilannic.

Annihilannic,

Many thanks for the that.

Tried the above but it yields 'Ambiguous output redirect'. I'll try some other permutations on this scheme when I get a couple of minutes spare.

Thanks again
Les....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back