Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xSeries, ServeRaid 4lx - add extra HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludbunny

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2002
AU
Good afternoon

I am planning on adding an additional HDD to our server (IBM xSeries 220) with a ServeRaid 4lx controller tomorrow - running RAID5. Just a few questions - as I have not done this before on this sort of setup. I do not want to reformat the server, nor lose any data. Does this sound right? below:

ENSURE A CLEAN BACKUP IS AVAILABLE!!!!!

1. I have the serveraid 4.84 CD - boot from that, update firmware first...
2. Boot to win 2000, install new drivers for SCSI/raid controller
3. Install Serveraid manager
4. Switch off server - install HDD
5. Boot server, run SR manager, setup the new drive
6. Run Disk Manager - somehow 'join' the new HDD to the logical drive.

any help would be appreciatted. I would hate to have to spend a full saturday recovering the whole main server!!!!

cheers,

Brett

You can do a logical drive migration and extend the current disk array to include the new disk. This will give additional performance as the data is now striped over an additional spindal. You will also get the benefit of the additional space.
This can be done "on the fly" so your data will be sweet. (Just back it up first, just in case).
HOWEVER, this will only increase the available disk space, you will still need to increase the partition from the NT perspective.

Go into ServeRaid Manager, right click on the array and select logical drive migration. Read the help files if you need heaps more info.

Neil

Thanks very much... All went well.

I did read the help files as well - they are pretty good.
I just wish they would have included the help file info from Serveraid Manager in the PDf's on the CD, as this would have made my planning a lot easier.

Oh well, now I've done it - its one more "feather in my cap"

cheers,

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back