Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xSeries 335 PCI bus not compatable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aixmurderer

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2000
NZ
We bought a new xSeries 335 fully expecting to insert a Digi PCI serial port card into it for modem/terminal connections.

Problem is the PCI slots on the xSeries aren't compatable, a normal PCI card won't fit. Are these special PCI sockets requiring propriety cards from IBM? If so then it sucks... IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration

A standard PCI adapter should fit. The adapter slots meet the established PCI design standards.

The slot on the motherboard and the riser card which came with it won't allow for a PCI card to be plugged into it, the seperators which fit into the slot on the PCI card connector are located in different positions.

The two possible positions for the card to fit is either about 1 inch away from the casing slot, or back to front with the card facing into the unit.

Is there an optional PCI-X to PCI riser card available? I cannot see anything listed at the IBM site at all. IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries

Can i do normal pci cards in a IBM X series 330 server??
I want to install an Adaptec SCSI 2940 card but it don`t want to boot up.

Can i do normal pci cards in a IBM X series 330 server??
I want to install an Adaptec SCSI 2940 card but it don`t want to boot up.

Does somebody knows the answer??

Thanks in advance

Answer to my own question - For your info...

Logged a call to IBM, a regular PCI card cannot work on a PCI-X bus due to voltage diffs, PCI is 5V, PCI-X is 3.5V.

So it needs to be a 3.5V PCI card for it to work.

There goes my Digi 8-Port card usage down the drain...

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back