Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XRT 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigit1

Technical User
Aug 1, 2004
US
I have an Minuteman XRT1000 UPS. This unit has been sitting for quite some time, along with one one external XRTBP1 battery. I recently took the ups out of storage to use it and the ups is giving errors that the battery pack is bad. I opened up the case and indeed all of the batteries have broken cells. According to minuteman, these are not user replaceable batteries but i would like to replace them myself anyway. It takes four 12volt 18amp batteries, which I have only been able to find in available one place. I am wondering if it would be ok to either downgrade to a 12volt 17amp, or upgrade to a 12amp 20volt?

Any variance in the design of the unit could have serious side effects. While the downgrade would seem harmless, it's possible that it wouldn't work right, and an upgrade could be bad news. I'd either go with exact replacements, or maybe the downgrade if you'd be able to return any of them, otherwise probably best to get a UPS, one that you can change batteries in.

I suppouse you made a mistake when writing the "12amp 20volt", so the possibility to replace the batteries for the 17 or 20 Amp models should be meaningless from an electrical point of view. But what about size? What about battery type (sealed? lead acid?)?
Be careful, handling batteries is far more dangerous than it seems!!

Hope this help.
Regards,
Jose.-

Yes I did mean to say 12volt 20amp, as opposed to 12amp 20volt. These are sealed lead acid batteries I am referring to, and the dimensions for the 17, 18, and 20amp are identical.

As I said before, if the physical dimensions are identical, and the only difference is the 2 Amps in the Amp./Hour rating you could use the 20 A/H model without worring about significant electrical differences.

Regards,

Jose.-

Then all you have to do is hope that the charging circuitry recognises you are using different batteries and compensates for it.

Simple fact is if they say they are non-user replaceable it is for a reason, if however you decide to replace them it should be with electrically identical batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back