Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xpress Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncdude

Programmer
Jul 28, 2003
GB
I have worked with alot of designers and setters of the years and I am amazed at how few realise that it is possible to wrap codes around text [red]BEFORE[/red] it gets into Quark to enable automatic pagination using Xpress Tags

I have been using Xpress Tags for years and it always shocks me when I see someone, for example, taking a large database - exporting the data as ASCII text - and then spending countless hours/days/weeks manually setting the pages. This is simply crazy for Directories/Catalogues, etc.

How many people out there are not making use of Xpress Tags?

Kind Regards
Duncan

I admit when i worked in publishing we did it manually. Didnt know about tags, and employer wasnt willing to spend any money getting any of us fully trained on the software. That 3000+ name directory would have been SO MUCH EASIER had i used tags, and would have saved the publisher tons of money in production time!

B

thanks for your honesty MyFavoriteLetterIsB - wonder if anyone else will admit the same...

Kind Regards
Duncan

Duncan,

I'm VERY interested in using Quark Tags to markup text. I'm currently using Bold and Italic quark tags, but is there a list of the other tags that I can use somewhere?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

John.

Never mind, I found a link to a PDF file in another thread that has all of the Quark Tags.

Hi Duncan,

Perl does my job. I use it to convert and format xml-files to tagged text, calculate pagination and/or the position of graphics. An other way is to use perl, to write applescripts for generating a whole page in QuarkXPress.
As I said before, Perl does my job.

Kind Regards
otti

hi otti

that's wicked! can you use Perl to 'insert' graphics?

Duncan

Kind Regards
Duncan

Hi Duncan,

first I have to tell, that I still produce with OS 9.2.2, XPress 3.3.2r5 and MacPerl 5.6.1r2. Stoneage, I know, but it works fine.

Here's some example-code
---------------------8<-------- cut ------>8---------------------

MacPerl::DoAppleScript(<<END_SCRIPT_1);
tell application "XPress™"
activate
tell document 1
set view scale to fit page in window
end tell
beep 1

try
tell page 2 of document 1
make picture box at end with properties {bounds:{"18 pt", "0 mm", "261.5 pt", "175 mm"}, color:"keine"}
set image 1 of last picture box to "Pictures:DTP:Back's:T-BackNew.eps"
set offset of image 1 of last picture box to {"-1.5 pt", "-1pt"}
end tell
end try

END_SCRIPT_1

---------------------8<-------- cut ------>8---------------------

I don't know, whether or how it works under OS X and XPress 6.1 - I don't have it yet - but the classic environment should work without problems.

ciao,
otti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back