Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XPpro issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundust1

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
US
I thought i might post here. I have already posted in General hardware and a few more sights Here's my problem About every 20 minutes i get knocked off the network and qucikly reconnected. I have tried to install another NIC card and got the seme message Network cable unplugged dialog. I have turned off my firewalls and the same thing I even recycled my Modem. So, this i suspect has to do with something in windows XP. But, im not sure were to look. Maybe, in the registry. I have also checked my pwr management modes. So this is why i'm posting here Please help.
Sundust1

I know it will sounds dumb, but, did you check the cable?
what is the layout of your network? comp-to-comp, switched, routed? Does it happens to others computers as well? is it DHCP?
I don't think it's a firewall or NIS configuration problem, unless it's an Access Restrictions configuration, but it seems unlikelly.

With Auditing enabled, the various items in the Event Viewer Security Log contain a wealth of information which may assist you, not to mention what else is available from the System folder.

See if the Winsock fix mentioned in the following article is of any use.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup
faq779-4625

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

A good thing to check also is network speed/duplex mismatches. For example, if a switch port is forced to 100Mb Full Duplex and the PC is left to Auto Negotiate, the PC will only negotiate to 100Mb Half Duplex. One of the problem symptoms of this is slow network performance with the occasional drop off. Might be worth checking this too.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Another thing to check is whether there is any power management on the NIC itself.

1) Open 'Device Manager' [Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager (button)].

2) Expand 'Network Adapters'.

3) Double-click on your NIC (or right-click and select 'Properties').

4) Select the 'Power Management' tab (if there is one).

5) Un-tick the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' checkbox if it is ticked.

My understanding of this power management feature is that, if enabled, XP will turn off the NIC if it's not in active use in the same way as other power management settings can turn off the monitor and/or hard disk.

Hope this helps...

i used to have a problem similar to that (yellow triangle on connect - problematic or no connectivity). i used winsock fix first. then made sure that only one nic card was enabled (disabled the rest). laptops have a wireless nic too. next i did ipconfig command at c: prompt to find out what ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway of each pc was.
multiple instances of dhcp server can cause problem also.
can you describe more about your configuration as questioned in above post? crossover cable? router, etc.

i ran across this problem once before, and the problem was with my router. I changed ports and voila, it worked, tho it turned out the whole darn router died 2 days later and i had to get a new one.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have already checked the pwr management scheme thing. I don't have it available with the network card it is a 3com 10/100 conneted directly to a Motorola surfboard Modem through cable. I have recycled the modem and i think i did that winsock thing but, ill try again. I was wandering if there is a registry key that i could disable about the power management. thanks again I'll keep trying your suggestions and get back with you.
Sundust1

Thanks linney i had the power scheme set to always on. I'm not sure if this will do it i have to wait 20 minutes. I tried the winsock/fix thing that did'nt resolve it. I suspect Windows It is a WinXp pro version. I have tried another Nic card and the same dam* thing happened. I think i must of fooled around with something in windows because it was working about month ago with no problem. Thant's why i suspect Windows. I'll stay posted. Thanks again

I tried troulbshooting TCP/IP. It said to enable TCP/IP filtering so stupid me did that when i wentt to restart it said cannot bind to Adapter blah blah hlaah. I could not connect to the net so i unchecked it and did the same thing. I finally got it back up but, my problem is still Network cable unplugged. I have a new cable it does the same thing. I'm lost.

These are all long shots and probably don't apply, they may be worth a glance though?

The network icon in the notification area does not update when you reconnect an Ethernet cable in Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP with Service Pack 2

"Any type of networking problem in XP SP2 will give you this “Limited or No Connectivity” message, so you may have any one of these causes of the problem"

Windows XP SP2 Networking Problems Help

Limited Connectivity
thread779-949524

ICS Gateway does not provide configuration to home computers
thread779-955113

You could try System Restore to go back a month or so and see if the Networking comes good? I don't like going back that far myself because it knocks out a lot of updates etc. As a test only it is viable as it will create a automatic restore point to bring you back to the present if it fails to get your network going.

You also have the System File Checker program startable from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Only trouble with a repair is that it may copy across malware and faulty personal registry settings.

That leaves you with the option to save all your valuable data and then perform a format and clean install.

Thanks Linney that is some good stuff. I download a security patch something to do with the loop back problems with connectivity. I rebooted and all i get can't display page when i start IE. So, i did a system restore and now it tells me it can't bind with adapter make sure your using static ip. What is this. I enabled TCP/IP filtering the other day and this is where i got the message so i disabled it and it still says it can't bind with adapter. any suggestions. Also, I can't do a system restore back to an earlier date. help

this may or may not be a long shot ....
But, it almost sounds like a hardware failure. not the NIC card but the PCI bus that the card plugs into. put the card in a new slot as it may shared hardware IRQ with the video card or another critical component.

This type error does not really show up as on error in windows.

Also if you have had some other errors or blue screens please post those too?

This almost sounds like a symptom of another type of problem... I have seen chipset issues and hot Ram do this too.

Also this could be a bad capacitor that is cycling.

If your Motherboard BIOS supports this: You can look to see what is sharing with the NIC card in the BIOS

It's not really the a fix for your problem but it might help.

Good Luck

Are you sure your modem isn't bad?

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Thanks everyone for the tips. I finally fixed the bug. I called ISP and had reset modem. Been working good since. I learned a lot from everything.

Sounds like you fixed the problem, and hopefully the problem is fixed for good.

My folks had an issue months back with symptoms that seem nearly identical to what you're experiencing. Their connectivity would be good for about 20 minutes after startup, but then it would get flaky; in and out of "connected" or "cable unplugged". It turned out there were too many splits in the cable line, so the signal to their modem was not quite strong enough. The cable company removed some splits my folks weren't using anyway, and they haven't had the problem since.

If your problem returns (again, hopefully not), you may want to get your cable company to test the strength of the signal at the point of entry to your cable modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back