Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Workstation reboots while installing printer on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilot1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
US
I have run into this problem several times recently. It has happened at two different job sites. When installing a printer using explorer or IE to navigate to shares on win2k server using \\servername and clicking on print share to install, Win xp workstation just reboots. Microsoft says it's a problem with ethernet card, but when I go to the suggested Windows update page to get so called latest drivers, it doesn't not fix problem. Anyone seen this before, or have any suggestions on how to get around? I found that I can install the printer to LPT1 and then point it to the new network port to get around it. Thanks!

This is not a spooler crash problem, it is a Windows goes belly up and reboots. I have also noticed that whenever I try to print in certain circumstances, machine reboots. This is driving me nuts. Below is the OCA I get after rebooting, does anyone have a clue what the H---! is going on here?
This is the OCA that I keep getting over and over
--------------------------------------------------------------
Solution found: install missing updates

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

The error was likely caused by:

10/100 Ethernet Adapter (an983.sys)

Solution

Your computer is missing updates that can fix or prevent the problem you reported.

Go to Windows Update.
Select the updates for 10/100 Ethernet Adapter (an983.sys) and click Go to install updates.
The Microsoft Windows Update website only provides drivers for specific hardware types. If a new driver for your device is not listed on the Microsoft Windows Update website, contact Infineon - AMDtek online at
Note: If you have not installed the latest Windows Update software, you will be asked to upgrade and restart your computer before you can use the website. After restarting, go to the Windows Update website. Click Custom Install, select optional hardware updates and then install all 10/100 Ethernet Adapter (an983.sys) updates.

OK, here is the solution.
Change out your network card! Apparently there is some change made by Microsoft that more or less makes some Ethernet cards not work anymore. I had a Network Everywhere card that must have had an affected chip in it. So I switched over to a Netgear FA311. So far all is stable, can do everything again, when it comes to printing, and no Crashes!! Maybe someday we will find out if it is a driver issue? or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back