Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp workstation desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingnutech

Technical User
Oct 16, 2008
US
I have a workstation that I keep getting an explorer.exe error. This is the desktop itself? If it is, can I create a new desktop and save the info on it? I know this can be done on pro or home. This station is on a domain...does this make what I am trying to do hard? Last, does anyone know the steps that I might need to take to make this happen?

Thanks you in advanced.

explorer,exe is more than likely a virus, get a couple of antivirus e.g. RemoveIT, Dr Web, they work really well in safe mode so dont run them normally it will just crash svchost., remember to disable system restore. In normal use you can run Ad-Aware.
If it is, can I create a new desktop and save the info on it? Yes, but as in the second part of the question, you will need to get administrator credentials to join it to the network.

I will try the first part and let you know how it goes. If I need to get to the second part is there a way to contact you to walk me through it? Please let me know and I will be in touch.

Adam

This station is on a domain...does this make what I am trying to do hard?
you will need to get administrator credentials to join it to the network. I can't help the network admin who's domain you connected to will.

If I need to get to the second part is there a way to contact you to walk me through it? Please let me know and I will be in touch.
see answer above

This station is on a domain...does this make what I am trying to do hard?
you will need to get administrator credentials to join it to the network. I can't help the network admin who's domain you connected to will.

If I need to get to the second part is there a way to contact you to walk me through it? Please let me know and I will be in touch.
see answer above

Thanks for your help. I did a repair on the computer everything is working. However, ie is crashing after I leave homepage, and firefox is fine. Any suggestions I ran vundo fix and it found nothing.

thanks

What ver of IE are you running.
Did you check for viruses?
Any specific error, can it be updated?
Run temp file cleaner e.g ATF Cleaner is fairly good so are others here
Fixing IE is always a bit difficult as it's integrated into the OS, I tend to use firefox or Opera myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back