Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP wont shut down!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoodsmcse

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2001
US
I have a newly installed XP machine. When i go to shut it down alls it does is restart..it will not shut down. I have checked power management settings, replaced the power supply, changed out the video card and i just switched the motherboard still to no success. I am trying to avoid formatting and starting over. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If you have Roxio Easy CDCreator installed then try removing it as it has known issues with XP based machines. Though before removing it you should try the XP update they have at

Last night trying to log off and shut down my computer I had the exact same problem it kept rebooting! I pulled the plug. DavidPaul's response must be the answer to my problem. Roxio Easy CD Creator basic came installed on my new Dell 8200 and I have had no problems. Yesterday I installed the Platinum update 5 for the program! Will try the XP update he suggested before I return the update to Roxio.

The Roxio XP updates (2) were installed per their recommendations after reinstalling Easy CD Creator Platinum 5 update. This has fixed my "XP won't shut down" problem!!! Thanks DavidPaul. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back