Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP won't shut down!! Plus another mindbending ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameszr1

MIS
Apr 24, 2002
US
XP won't shut down!! I did an upgrad to XP from ME which went quite well. However, I haven't been able to get the computer to shut down, except by holding in the power button. It will go thru the restart ok, only the shutdown is hanging me up. Another question..on XP can i lock a file or folder so only I have access to it? If so, how. Thanks

as for the shutting down, I am not sure how to fix that (i would have recommended doing a fresh install as oppoose to an upgrade).

In X, I am pretty sure that if you save a file in your my documents folder it is not accessable to other users on the computer. If you want to share documents put them into the my shared files folder.

make a dummy account and see if this is the case. I will look into it a bit more for you though.

I have seen this issue discussed in several other areas. The general consensus is Power Management and the BIOS.

Most personnel I have spoken to have upgraded older PC's from ME or 98 to XP and have seen this error. The fix in 99% of the areas is to upgrade the BIOS with current manufactorer flash. Look out on the web for your version of BIOS and see if an upgrade is available. Follow any instructions to the letter. This may resolve the problem.

As for file and folder security. I believe you need to create seperate logon accounts on the machine. Once you do this you can "right click" Propewrties on the files and folders you want to assign permission (rights) to. Assign rights to the user accounts you created. (Current rights are probably Administrator or Everyone)

If you do not want to secure the folders you can always hide them. Not fail safe but works if you do not want to create user accounts on the machine. Right click on File/folder properties and select Hide. You can always bring them back into view again by selecting, from the Explorer/File manager View, Folder Options, View all hidden files. Right click again and change attributes as unhidden. Lots of work....user accounts easier to manage.

Drumlip, I too now remember something a while back about the power management, and I believe it was in the bio's system. My bio's was reflashed to the newest one in March of 02, but I'll check and see if there is a newer one. I think I need to look into the bio's for a power manager solution. Any other thoughts are of course appreciated!! And thanks for the file entry information.

If you install Roxio 5.0 CD burner software (EasyCD Creator) with the Direct CD option enabled, it can cause this symptom on some PCs. I uninstalled both Take Two and Direct CD based on reported problems, and this cured the no-shutdown-auto reboot problem. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Newposter, I too have E-Z-CD creator AND Nero, I think 5.0 (the newest one). I'll put that on my list too!! Thanks
James

When I upgraded from EasyCd Creator 3.5c to 5.0 (so that I could burn 700 Mb CDs, which is all you can get now), I originally installed Direct CD. Suddenly I couldn't shut down Windows XP; log off or shut down resulted in rebooting every single time, and I had to hold down the power button. As soon as I uninstalled Direct CD (and rebooted twice, I think), the problem went away for good. That was definitely what caused it. I think there's a patch for this, but I don't use Direct CD anyway. Newposter

I don't have C.D. Creator, only Nero, and I don't have a power management tag called ADM. I use to have EZ Creator, but I deleted it some time ago. Perhaps something left in the registry?

Doubtful. I didn't edit the registry after uninstalling those features. Newposter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back